What the Fashion World has Done to Us

I believe that modeling is just another idealism. It usually just makes me feel bad that I don't have that flat stomach or those really cute cheek bones. Fashion, in my opinion, is what really makes people anxious about looking exactly like the models or evn the manequins.

Really though, we all have a unique sense of fashion. Most people believe that fashion is 'the style'. The only problem is, that most people tend to dress in a way that expresses who they are.

Unfortunately, when that happens, people blend together into one mass of the same thing... that doesn't sound very cool to me.

On top of it all, when you dress differently, you have the stress that you might be picked on just becasue you don't want to dress like everyone else. After all, once everyone uses up that one really 'fashionable' idea, a new fashion comes out, right? Well, it may be that you have the next fashion, no matter how many people tease you at first.

My point is, look at what the fashion world has done to us. I believe that's what really creates friction between students in schools. With uniforms, that can probably take away most of that (although I'm not exactly sure I want to wear uniforms - it would take away my chance to express myself.).

The fashion world has molded us into a big clay pot, all monotone, all the same. What's the fun in that? I like how some people stand out and are bright colors against the boring peice behind them. We ARE all different colors inside, so why not let it shine? =D

kittykat said...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 10:50 am
i could not possibly DISAGREE more! Fashion is a way of self-expression. I'ts NOT all the same. and things become "in" because people LIKE them! Every once in awhile, people do look the same. but that's because they have similar styles and like similar things. You need to just quit hating on the fashion industry, because you clearly don't understand fashion.

SandyLee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Actually, for the past few years, when most teens around me dress in skinnys and T-shirts, I've been shopping at clothing stores for adults and wearing pencil skirts, a brown blazer, bell-bottom jeans, and nice white shirts every school day. People often tell me I "dress to impress" every day. But the important thing is, at first I felt left out wearing this "other" stuff. THis year, finally, people started telling me they love my outfits and stuff like that. So it does pay, after all.

livetoserve said...
Jul. 28, 2010 at 9:47 am
i think it takes skill to put together outfits that are unique but still flattering.  my younger sister and her friend are excellent at this, plus they're amazing bargain shoppers.  they find all kinds of deals even at expensive stores and i love seeing what they wear.  somedays they blend in and others they're extremely unique.  i think if people want to blend in, though, it's fine.  sorry this comment is kind of rambling... haha

Sweethearrt said...
i agree! i dress with some trends, but i wear what i like. my looks are unique from most girls, but i like it. most ppl tell me that what makes me so pretty is that no one else looks like me.

gaga-fan28 said...

I couldn't disagree more. The fashion world is an amazing worldwide industry that brings together global culture--that's what it is, is culture, and since when is culture a bad thing?

Your argument doesn't make a lot of sense. You say that people tend to dress to express how they are, and this is a problem--but when it happens, people dress the same? Huh? Take a look around you. People dress so different. Sure, so many people dress the same at school, but worldwide, fashion is s... (more »)

Tonnie6 said...
I couldn't agree more. The fact that wearing name brand clothing is considered a social norm, and being deivant is considered socially unacceptable is mind boggling. I would what people sterotype as "gothic", but its what I'm confortable in. What todays fashion consists of stupid expensive. I believe that it doesn't matter what you wear, as long as it doesn't alter your manners and social well being.

MLEluvshistory This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I just finished writing an article kind of like this. I'm glad other people share my thoughts!

emmatheballerina said...
This is very true. We all end up looking the same and really, that is not very fashionable. Its weird though. We all want to stand out, but we never want to look ant different

Vampires101 replied...
I know!!! It's really crazy, isn't it?