The Graffiti Of Language | Teen Ink

The Graffiti Of Language

Walking through the streets, or talking to a friend; slang is everywhere. It cements itself in human culture, cinema, books, social media, and art. Plenty argue about the significance of slang, while others refute and antagonize the thought of its use in society. Ungrammatical language, or slang has been sprouting ever since the early 1800’s, yet gained traction during the 1960’s and 1980’s as listening to radio hosts contributed to it becoming popular. From then on, slang has become a huge part of the media and the trends of our generation; the only problem being the argument, is it too much?

Older generations had slang, and used it plenty. It’s not something that’s coherently applied to more recent generations. Surveys showed that 81% of Baby Boomers use slang; obviously it has grown over the years to a whole new level showing 98% of Gen Z uses slang daily. So if age isn’t the deciding factor in the argument of slang, what is?

Language is like a living organism, it evolves and changes overtime; slang being the beating heart that keeps it alive and new. Each generation seems to create new or reinvent slang, almost making it their own. Generation Z has created some rather ungodly creations such as “gyatt” or “rizz.” With how weird it might be, it’s kinda humorous if used in the right way. Yet the point is, slang seems to stay with generations instead of them growing with it. Which is why “old heads” and boomers are called who dey are. They just aren’t up with the time, and sometimes they will think new slang is ridiculous and stupid; I really don’t blame them.

Reminisce of the last time u were texting a friend; guess how many times you used any sort of slang in that conversation. It could possibly just be you typing “u” instead of “you”; after you’ve done that just count all of them. From personal experience and others, we tend to use slang and not even realize it. Many argue that this may lead to its use growing in professional orthodox’s. They maintain reasoning by stating, or “yapping” that it will cause laziness and a poor workforce.

I contest, I’ve talked to plenty of people my age that are completely brain rotted to the core; yet haven’t met one that would use crazy sounding slang while on the hour. I find that it’s not irrational to use it while talking to coworkers; especially ones you’re comfortable with. Beyond that, like talking to your boss or customers with slang is a reach.

My opinion lies as this; slang isn’t bad, it’s the graffiti of language and the reason it doesn’t get old. It’s a need in society and it grows while our culture does too. Hopefully the people who argue against it will see that even tho u have a dif opinion than mine. I lay my side with the treacherous opinion that “gyatt” is a sign of cultural growth; sadly.

'The Graffiti Of Language' is about the stains that slang leaves on culture and speech. This opinion article recites the ideas of the usefulness of slang. Such as leaving a positive mark on the people, giving them a way to express themselves; it also keeps the language from dulling, leaving it more interesting.