Knock Off Jeans and Boots with the Faux

Sometimes, I just don’t understand. I’m a fairly intellectual person with reasonable logic but nothing on this earth can explain to me what makes anyone beautiful. I mean brown hair, blue eyes, and long legs? What does it all matter? Sure, guys have told me I’m “hot” and asked for my number but what does that mean? Does it mean I’m society’s idea of pretty? But this piece isn’t about my insecurities; it’s about the worlds’.
Ever since Mary-Kate had anorexia it’s “in to be thin”. And ever since Lindsay got her first DUI it’s okay to drive drunk. Well it’s not. It isn’t pretty to have a disease, it’s dangerous and scary. It’s not cool to endanger yourself and those precious lives around you, it’s stupid.
Look at Amy Winehouse, do tattoos make her ugly? Then again do they make her beautiful? Where is this person who is playing God and deciding what is good and what is bad for us to look like because myself and just about every other teenage girl in America would like to give them a piece of our mind! Who made wearing Abercrombie and Hollister cool? Don’t get me wrong, I wear those clothes along with a million other people but that doesn’t mean that people with a designer closet are good people. One of the cruelest people I’ve ever met only wears Abercrombie but that doesn’t make it bad.

What’s wrong with earthly possessions? What’s wrong with a happy medium of Aeropostale and K-Mart, and what’s wrong with weighing two extra pounds? People today in general are too concerned with what’s on the outside when they’re missing a lot of people with really pure hearts.

RedheadAtHeart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
YOU GO GIRL!!!

LexiB said...
Oct. 30, 2010 at 8:33 am:
I agree. I love Aeropostale and Abercrombie, but why do people get so caught up in their apperances? I mean, who wants to spend fifty bucks on a t-shirt? I find my favorite clothes at this really cool thrift store. Yesterday I bought a pair of Aerepostale skinny jeans for two bucks, and I'm fine with that. And what's all this crud about being skinny? I mean if your sixty pounds overweight, obvisouly you need to eat healthier, but why starve yourself miserable? That was my five-minute rant for th... (more »)

E.L.W. said...
I like how you look at both sides. You provide a really good opinion -- its okay to have some material stuff, but the important thing is that you are a good person.
Well done.

dragonbiscuits This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
YES! YES!!! Thank you!
I don't think I need to say more!

KrystalT replied...
Nov. 17, 2010 at 6:43 pm :
EXACTLY...

AlwaysWrite28 said...
Its so true, I have a poem on here called "Ode to Ideal" its similar to your article. I like how u cited real events/celebs that really caught my attention. Keep up the good work, best of luck!

megan P. said...
Jul. 23, 2009 at 10:13 pm:
I loved it! You go girl!

unearthlyhaphazard said...
Jul. 23, 2009 at 12:32 pm:
You really express society in a wonderful way. I love how you said, "Does it mean I'm the society's idea of pretty?" and "Ever since Mary-Kate had anorexia, it's in to be thin". Keep up the good work!

Bella_Vita21 said...
Jul. 23, 2009 at 5:23 am:
AMAZING

Jaquie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm:
Loved it. Your very well spoken, and really have some talent. I really felt what you were writing. I really enjoyed reading the article. Very down to earth. And I love your suggestion of a 'happy medium of Aeropostale and K-mart'. Great job. Keep writing!
God bless,
...,

pinksage33 said...
Jun. 13, 2009 at 2:44 pm:
Great article!!!

pinksage33 said...
Jun. 12, 2009 at 9:03 pm:
Well said!!!

SmileyRiley<3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 11, 2009 at 6:10 pm:
i really like how down to earth this peice is. great job.