Gucci Capris and Hollister Tees

Why is it that society today pays more for a shirt with the word Hollister sprawled across the front? Why is it that we spend money on Prada, Coach, and Louis Vuiton, when a simple knockoff would suffice? Why do we pay more money for less fabric when we buy ripped jeans? The answer is simple. People today are too concerned about how they look, and what they have. In the long run, do you think it's gonna matter to the people who interview you for a job if you had the most True Religion jeans or if you had more Hollister tops than your best friend? How's a shirt, a bag, or a pair of pants going to benefit you in the long run? Will it increase your chances of getting a job? Will it make you a better person? Will it make you do better in school? No. It's fine to have these things...but you shouldn't be overly concerned...for two reasons. One, you can get so wrapped up in earthly posessions that you can't think of anything else. And two, your wallet will suffer if you buy the newest Miu Miu cork wedges. :) Another thing is the media, which has a narrow-minded definition of beautiful. The cliche blondes and the pretty brunettes. Don't they realize that there are other types of beauty? Death is caused by the media expressing too much worry on outward appearance. It's true. The image they portray is that you have to be skinny and pretty to be beautiful. Girls worry over what they look like and sometimes this turns into eating disorders. Girls die because they are too concerned about their weight. Why should it matter if you look different, if you are a nice person? Define 'different' or 'normal.' Everyone is different, so you can't honestly single out someone for looking a certain way. And NO ONE is normal. Everyone is different and special so if someone doesn't look like you, so what? Racism is so annoying because people judge on the color of skin instead of what the person is really like Why should it matter if you're dark, light, albino? It shouldn't. The main point is, earthly posessions aren't wrong, it's not wrong to want to be pretty, and it's not uncommon for people to judge each other on the way they look. You can have Hollister and the newest Miu Miu cork wedges, or a Coach handbag without being overly obsessive over the things in this world. You can want to be pretty and look nice as long as it doesn't turn into an obsession or something as drastic as an eating disorder. And don't beat yourself over the head if you've ever seen someone and judged them a certain way because of how the look. That's the first thing we notice, and we all do it. But don't be racist. Everyone is special in their own way, and don't laugh and point at someone without knowing their background, their personality, or them, first. The media is putting so much stress on outward appearance, sometimes we don't bother to look past the girl in the Gucci capris with the pretty blonde hair to what she's actually experiencing deep down inside, or what she's actually like.

alexandria1124 said...
I honestly think it boils down to you, and who you are. This is a very well written piece, and although I don't agree with everything you've said, I can't say I disrespect it. Keep in mind though, that every single person makes up this terrible media you're talking about. We're the ones going along with it, and looking at the magazines and the billboards. Dirty fingers are being pointed in all directions, and it's important to clean yours first, and then speak in what you believe in. I find you ... (more »)

XxSoccerxX replied...
Mar. 16, 2012 at 1:30 pm :
Hey this is not coool lol :)

poppy_lin said...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 10:55 am:

I agree; girls nowadays have no sense of meaning; they prefer price over anything else. does it matter that you could buy a better made shirt at a much lower price? to them, no. could you read my article "the popular girls"? i have the same points as you do.

cheers!

Lavillachicka911 said...
I AGREE MY SCHOOL IS FILLED WITH SO MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE SO MUCH EXPENSIVE ITEMS AND THEN WHEN IT COMES TO THE ONES WITHOUT MONEY THERE ON THE BACKBURNNER LIKE A PIECE OF CRAP

stevie22 replied...
Sept. 25, 2013 at 12:10 pm :
amen      

SnickerLover said...
Jul. 31, 2010 at 8:45 am:
that is soo true.

angelXD said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 3:58 pm:
i agree. i used to love hollister and would want all my clothes from there just because it was the trend. but now it does not make sense to me why people would spend thirty bucks to get a plain shirt just because says hollister on it when you can get something even cuter and way more original for $10 at a department store. please, wear clothes that define you. If everyone looked/dressed or did anything the same the world would be a boring place.    

morgie7<3 replied...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 9:51 pm :
amenn angel XD!!!  couldnta said it bettr myself!(:

bilbogirl said...
Feb. 6, 2010 at 5:33 pm:
You are so very right, especially about the whole 'wanting possesions is fine but don't let it take you over.' I like that message. Very good.

notebookgirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 7:57 pm:
i am someone who stives to be different than everyone else. the world would be a lot more interesting if everyone stopped pretending to be the same person. its one of my favorite quotes and i made it up myself. good article!

Jenlove. replied...
Mar. 8, 2011 at 2:28 pm :
Some people like to look origional by wearing origional pieces. A pair of POS jeans from Walmart isn't as origional as TruReligion jeans, thanks.

QuestionAuthority said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 5:47 pm:
I hate when people complain about designer clothing and the media's stress on our appearances. The media's actually not as much of a monster as everyone makes it out to be; Seventeen magazine, for example, displays clothes and fashions for all body types. And people CHOOSE to be influenced by the media.

morgie7<3 replied...
Feb. 7, 2010 at 3:56 pm :
People choose to be influenced by the media, but the media are obviously the people that do everything in their power to influence you. You know the covers of Seventeen magazine? They spend hours altering and fixing the models, changing eye color, fixing bone structure, even changing the color of their clothes. Man, thanks. I'm sure that makes the models feel amazing. "You're not pretty enough to just be natural on our cover, so we're going to spend hours fixing you.&quo... (more »)

spontaneous09 said...
I completely agree. And, I have to admit some of the expensive stuff is nice but a lot of it is really cheaply made. Like $40 t-shirts that a small and basically see through. And, after 2 washes it's already shrinking and about to tear!

Shemeca S. said...
IM IN LOVE WITH THIS.... I really agree with what you say....

dellllmahdehllama replied...
Mar. 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm :

obvi if you're in love with this

you're going to agree with what they're saying.

morgie7<3 said...
Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:37 pm:
yes...clothes do help express who you are. i love shopping and picking out clothes that speak my personality. but its when you are too wrapped up in them and what you look like where it becomes a problem. thanks for your opinion...i prob shoulda made it more clear... :)

weXloveXunicorns said...
Jun. 6, 2009 at 1:55 am:
In my opinion, there is no normal. Diversity is normal, and I embrace all of that. I also agree that the media sucks and are totally biased to a certain group of people. In addition, some people do just buy these clothes to look good, not for themselves, but for everyone else. But, sometimes, your clothes can make you feel good about yourself and express your personality. I do agree with most of this article, but there are some other answers for your questions.

Also: Clothes not hel... (more »)

BellaLuna said...
May 24, 2009 at 11:33 pm:
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! i agree, and why be normal anyway? i like wearing purple skinny jeans a yellow top a green graphic tee and red conversies with thich black braclets, bow is that normal? um NO! what is normal? DEFINE NORMAl, it happens to be a wonderful book i have read, btw i have some articles in this opic area so if u wna check um out.

M... replied...
Sept. 3, 2010 at 6:30 pm :
I love that book!!