The Twilight Phenomenon: “It’s All Too Much”

Twilight; it’s sweeping the nation and taking it by storm. It’s the largest book sensation since Harry Potter. Stephanie Meyer; an amazing author who, by luck, had a bestselling dream. She’s a phenomenon herself, with not only Twilight on the shelves, but The Host and Prom Nights From Hell. She also has a series of movies as a companion to her book series, Twilight, but have any of you stopped to think that maybe we’ve paid a little too much attention to this wonderful author and her books?

Now, I would never underestimate Meyer’s writing skills, or her colorful visions that have brought so many to fall in love with her leading vampire, Edward, but I will question as whether we’ve taken the marketing a little too far. Anytime I step out of my house, I see something about Twilight: a shirt, a poster, a keychain, or even, a bottle of Twilight perfume! People! Your boyfriend will NOT turn into Edward Cullen just because you spray him with Edward scented cologne and I guess that’s where I’m going with this. But wait! Now I don’t even have to leave the house! I can simply go online to check MySpace and see adds for Twilight quizzes claiming to tell you who “your perfect Twilight mach is!” or “which Twilight character you most resemble.” Who takes the time to make this stuff up?

My best friend, Brooklynn, is a self proclaimed Twilighter. She is in love with the fictional character Edward Cullen and wants Alice as a best friend. I am the one who introduced her to the Twilight series because I loved it so much. I still love it to death, but I am disappointed in how people, like Brooklynn, are treating this craze, with a closest stocked with shirts that proclaim “Team Edward,” or “I Run With Wolves.” This is taking it a little too far. While one shirt simply saying “Twilight” might be cute, a whole wardrobe proclaiming your love for the leads is simply edging on crazy.

Also, I’m extremely glad that Meyer has become successful in her writing career and has gotten movie contracts, but midnight release parties for the books and movies and the release of the DVDs is taking it a little to far. I recently attended the midnight release party for her book Breaking Dawn with Brooklynn, who I mentioned above. It was at a Barnes & Noble store. I was surprised what I found. People were dressed up as the characters and there was a giant wedding cake for Edward and Bella. At the Starbucks, there were Team Edward and Team Jacob drinks. There was a Twilight Fashion Show for the people who came in there best Twilight looks. There were a couple of boys dressed as Jacob and Edward there for pictures with their fans. And when it came time to purchase the book, as they called up the different groups, the people ran to be first. I thought the idea of this was insane. We were all purchasing the same book, we’re just buying it at different times.

Stephanie and all the Twilighters, don’t be mad! I love Twilight, too! I really do! I just believe the American public has taken it too far. I recommend this book for anyone. It’s a great read, but don’t take your love for Edward, or Bella, or Jacob, or vampires, or werewolves too far. I don’t believe any book, or movie is worth an obsession like the one surrounding Twilight. In the words of The Beatles, “It’s all too much!”

Nyteshade said...
May 6, 2011 at 9:40 pm:
The craze has gone a bit far i realized this when I was talking bad about Edward and a bunch of Tem Edward fangirls fan girls jumped me. really nice peice.

Amd92 said...
I was excited to see this article because I agree that the American public has taken this WAY too far and I respect the fact that you like the Twilight series. But I would have to disagree about Stephanie's skills. I think her books are rather immature and even a little bit poorly written. I can appreciate simple syntax and diction, but I think she didn't write in a simple way as tastefully as it can be done. 

LaurennnnThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 18, 2012 at 2:33 pm :
You know, now that I'm older, looking at this, I have to agree. At the time of writing this, I was in 8th grade. Now, being a senior in high school and having my eyes open to much more mature literature, I do not like Meyer's writing style. I prefer now the writings of Plath, and Poe, and Shakespeare.

brenda27 said...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 9:47 am:
i think that twilight hasnt gone to far it gives the fans what they want .personally i love twilight .

LoEssie said...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 2:06 am:
Hmm. . . admirable-you're one of the few people that talk about the Twilight series in a, I don't know, non-obssesive way. I must say, however, that, even though I am not a Twiheart or have even taken the time to read the book (I've tried, trust me, I just have a different opinion than most on the story line) I have been sucked into the phenomena (non). I would gladly purchase a teeshirt that said "Running with the wolves" or something, but, as you said-just one shirt. I'm a definate team Jacob,... (more »)

Peace420 said...
Feb. 19, 2010 at 9:01 am:
I read Twilight and New Moon before all of this and i'm not in love with it. I think it is stupid how people are like, "OMG Twilight!" Don't get me wrong, I love the books but sparkling vampires are not my thing. Harry Potter is much cooler anyways...

Amd92 replied...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:29 pm :
Thank you. 100% agree.

ImmortalDay said...
Why would you want a cologe vampires are suppose to smell like rotting blood and that stinks no one likes the smell of death.

writer.on.the.loose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 20, 2009 at 12:09 am:
I totally agree! I used to love Twilight but it's all gone a bit too far! I see Twilight as a trend, just like Harry Potter. A fashion that you wear, obsess over, talk to others about, but eventually it's out of style and people move on to something else. So people start moving on!!!

Peaceseeker said...
Hey, I love the book Twilight, but I'm not in love with Edward! That's just STUPID! he's a ficional character! come on ladies get over the dream.

forever_dancer said...
Apr. 13, 2009 at 3:26 am:
oh my gosh!!! im NOT AS INSANE AS ALL MY FRIENDS BELIEVE!!!!!!! ;)

Mr.Knightley said...
FINALLY!!! Someone who's half as sane as I am! LOL

Wickedgirl95 said...
I totally agree! My friends have never let a day go by without having a whole discusion about Twilight! They act like these characters are real! And this has been since about this time LAST YEAR!!! I like the idea of basing each book off a clasic (like Romeo and Juliet or Withering Heights) but I mean It's jut a book! Nothing to get too worked up about! Anyway so great writing...I had decided to read this because drew me in.... :)

Brett95 said...
Apr. 9, 2009 at 1:36 am:
i feel pretty much the same way. only difference: i like the midnight release parties.
but yea my friends are obsessed and i tell them "PEOPLE there are TONS of good books out there" i liked twilight and thought it was really good but to me, who reads a lot, it was just another good book

i also find it very funny how all the ads around your essay are of twilight lol

wrtrgirl4ever said...
Apr. 7, 2009 at 3:45 am:
I totally agree with you! There are other things about the Twilight series that seem fishy. For example, the only time Meyer uses vivid description is when she is talking about Edward. Also, the books seem to cater to female desire more than the plot and theme.Great article! You touched a valuable point in both Twilight and how fast and furious marketing is today. :)

purplecrazedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 7, 2009 at 2:00 am:
although i love the whole twilight series and yes, even went to the midnight release of breaking dawn, i have to agree. i loved the series a bit before the whole craze. people need to calm down a bit haha
i also find it kind of ironic as i was reading through the article, there are "twilight quiz" ads all over the place.

CaitlinOnTheWeb said...
LAuren I saw agree with you my friends and I got into a huge fihgt because I disagreed with them about Twilight. Its been blown way out of porportion.

Taylor W. said...
My thoughts exactly! I think Twilight is a pretty good series, but I'm going to go insane if I see another girl proclaiming herself to be Mrs. Edward Cullen (coughcough my friend Miranda cough cough).

Lauren.Rachh:)This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 6, 2009 at 1:12 am:
You know, even as i'm going back and reading my writing,
i see twilight adds on the top, bottom, and side of the screen.
haha.

Brooklynn A. said...
Apr. 6, 2009 at 12:16 am:
yo lauren... nice piece, really well written... and, over the break, i discovered that i like a different author better: James Patterson. so, i may not totally get over my obsession, but i'm going to try to lay off a bit.
-Ur bff,
Brooklynn (i was in the story!!! yay!!!)