Why Music Matters

I’ve never appreciated music more than I have in this past year of my life. Sometimes, it feels like the only thing that can quell my anxieties. The importance of the art first struck me when sitting in my Spanish class. My teacher, Ms.Castello, plays music from Mexico before each class. Artists can range from the popular “Selena” to more modern artists like “Jesse y Joy.” When I listen to the songs, I can’t understand any of the words, save for a few nouns that I picked up in my classes. Yet, I noticed I was emotionally effected by the music. Fast and intense songs would inspire me to work harder, while slower and more soulful songs would make me more introspective. I felt like the lyrics were speaking to me, even though they could have just been mindless babble since I had no idea what they meant. This is what lead me on my journey to discover what music meant to me.

Music acts as a sort of unifying art form, extend past cultures and barriers. Different pieces will speak to people in different ways. “Dear Theodosia” from Hamilton can be listened to by a teenager like myself as just a quality song, but a parent could hear it and my heavily emotionally effected by it, as it weaves a story about two men who are willing to sacrifice everything for their children. That is the true transcending power of music and it’s ability to change people.

Even as I write this now, my Spotify playlist is playing in the background, inspiring every word I write. Songs like “Starman” by David Bowe and “Mountain at my Gates” by Foals help my mind create essays like this. Music can effect people more than anything, more than film, more than novels, more than paintings. That’s the true power of song.