Music Is My Light | Teen Ink

Music Is My Light

November 11, 2016
By SamSullivan:D BRONZE, Park City, Utah
SamSullivan:D BRONZE, Park City, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Music is a light, it helps me through the darkness and it’s always there when I need it. Music is my whole life. Ever since I was a little kid all I’ve wanted to do was be in a touring rock band. There's nothing else I can see myself doing. I love writing music, listening to music, and playing music. I don’t know where I would be without music. Music is my escape, it makes everything seem okay even when it’s not. The bands I listen to have taught me so many different things. Individuality, how to not let the negativity get to you, don’t judge a book by its cover, and so much more. I feel that music has made me a better person. I’m in a few bands now, one of them wants to be just like every other rock band. They don’t want to be different or outrageous. They just want to write songs with little meaning and that sound like every other rock song out there. I also think it’s interesting because the person who writes songs for our group wrote a song about “how hard love is.” Did I mention this kid is fourteen? I’m pretty sure a fourteen-year-old doesn’t know that much about love. The songs this band writes are just the same love songs that every other band writes, and they all sound the same. They are all super upbeat happy songs. This band wants to be really successful but I don’t think they can be if they are just sounding like every other band. There's nothing wrong with upbeat songs, but I don’t think it should be all a band writes. You don’t think about it too much when you hear the lyrics, the song never truly connects with you. I play bass in that band and I never get a say in anything. The other band is a band that I created. This band wants to be different and outrageous. We want to write lyrics that make people think and question things. I try to write lyrics about things I know about and things that make sense to me. If lyrics don’t make sense to you, then how can they make sense to your audience? I can really relate to the lyrics some of the bands I like to write. Black Veil Brides write lyrics reminding me that I’m not alone and that there are people who care. Marilyn Manson writes lyrics that show me that I shouldn’t care at all about what other people think. I should be who I want even if it upsets people. Pierce The Veil shows me that it is okay to feel sad about things as long as you can find a way out of the sad moments. Sleeping With Sirens showed me that there is always a positive side to things. All of these bands have deep meaning in their songs that have gotten me through a lot. Lastly, My Chemical Romance showed me you always have to keep fighting and you should never give up. I want to do that with my songs. I want to be the band that tells everyone it’s okay to be different. I don’t want to be just another band that writes cheesy love songs and uses the same guitar riffs in every song. A lot of people think these bands are a bad influence because they are “telling kids bad things.” This is wrong because these bands have made me a better person. There have been times where it felt like everything was going wrong and I wouldn’t know what to do, and I would go and listen to music for a little while and everything would seem better. That's the type of band I want to be, the type of band that can make someone happy and really mean something to them. I think music can really help someone if they feel like they have nothing else to help them. Not everyone has to listen to a certain kind of music to make them feel happy either. People can listen to whatever makes them happy. I get so annoyed when people say something mean to someone because of the type of music they listen to. Someone once assumed I worshiped the devil because of the music I listen to. Not everyone has to like the same music, but people should respect what other people choose to listen to. Everyone is different and everyone has different tastes. All different genres of music can have lyrics that can help someone.


The author's comments:

Hey, I'm Sam! This is me talking about my opinion on music. Hope you enjoy!