Ole Country Music | Teen Ink

Ole Country Music

By patriot_diesel BRONZE, Salt Lick, Kentucky
patriot_diesel BRONZE, Salt Lick, Kentucky

Country music is the heart and soul of the south and the Appalachian Mountains. I plan to write an opinion/informational/article about the difference between old (traditional) country music and so called new country music. I will also talk about old country music and the singers. I also plan on talking about new country singers that are on the more on the traditional side of country music  people like Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and the Cadillac Three. I plan on getting this published on a radio, a newspaper, or a semi well known magazine. I will also give a back story about country music and so called new country music and why people don't think that it's ¨real¨ country music. For example, people don't think that there should not be beat box in country music, in my opinion I agree. I got this idea from a free write that we did in my english one class. My friend morgan pointed it out after I was talking about Johnny Cash and how's he’s the king of country. I also plan on talking about old country singers people like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash and Jimmy Dean. Don't get me wrong, I love the so called new country music. I like the way it sounds. I'm able to listen to most of the songs over and over again. I plan on talking about singers like Luke Bryan, Eric Church, Florida Georgia Line, Miranda Lambert, and Carrie Underwood. I think that I could make this really good I hope that I can make it good enough to get it published in the Rolling Stones Magazine but I don't think that will happen due to me, an 8th grader, is writing it and attempting to get it published.

Old  Country Music

Most  people consider old country music traditional music.

When it comes to country music in most conversations, you'll hear the argument that new country music isn't real, or traditional, country music. In my opinion, new country music is real country music but it's not traditional country, hinse the word “new.”What  makes  old  country music traditional?

The thing that makes country music traditional is the sound of the singer, the sound of the music, and what the song is about. Normally traditional country music is more of a slow type of song, but there are many that are a fast tempo that are really really good like “Cocaine Blues” by Johnny Cash.

The best of the best in mine and critics opinion. In my opinion Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, and Jimmy Dean are the best traditional country singers that ever sang for a living. On the CMT Top 10 Best Country Singers of All Time no. 1 is Merle haggard no. 2 is hank williams no. 3 is elvis presley no.4 is dolly parton no.5 is george strait no.6 is garth brooks no.7 willie nelson no.8 johnny cash no. 9 reba no. 10 george jones. Now it's up to you to judge if agree with this list but in my opinion johnny cash and willie nelson should at least be in the top 5. Why i think that johnny cash, jimmy dean, and willie nelson should be in the top five. In every conversation that comes up about traditional country music some will end up talking either about johnny cash, willie nelson, and jimmy dean. All  three of them have many songs that were really big hits for example johnny cash has 25 minutes to go, folsom prison blues, and more well known ring of fire. Willie nelson had shotgun willie, and on the road again. Jimmy dean had big bad john, little bitty big john, and p.t. 109. All these song were big hits when they came out people today still love these song me personally listen to them all the time. How country music started.  No one really just woke up and decided to create this new music and call it country. I beleive that country music started slowly in the appalachia area.     

“New” country music

Why people  think modern country music isn’t real. I’ve done some research and it seems that people think country music has lost its soul. They feel that it lost its soul when it lost its great singers that were always on the leaderboard. Most people think that the singers that are singing to day don’t have soul in their songs, now you can listen to the songs and determine your self if they have soul or not but in my opinion they do have soul. If a song makes you feel a strong emotion or make you think of someone special or connects with you than it has soul. An example is humble and kind by tim mcgraw a lot of people said that his song made them connect with the song or made them feel a certain emotion. Modern country music singers. Modern country singers are actually really good singers in my opinion some of them are better than some old time country singers. If you actually listen to the words in their songs their real country songs yeah most of them are about a girl shaking her butt on a tail gate drinking a beer in front of a bunch of men around a fire, but there’s plenty of songs that are about farming, jail, beer, missing someone, momma, a tractor and so on. You have here's to a farmer luck brian, you should be here cole swindell, may we all  florida georgia line, one hell of an amen brantley gilbert, pills i took hank williams the third, tennessee whisky chris stapleton, hero sturgill simpson, white lightning cadillac three, runnin red lights cadillac three. All these songs are real country music and there are way more songs that are out there that are real country music. Don't get me wrong the songs that are about the girl on the tail gate, those are good songs but i don't like that there's five million of the same song out there on the song boards. Modern country singers that are traditional. Chris stapleton is a big time modern country singer that is a traditional singer he grew in kentucky and was very poor. He grew up around the old traditional country music that everyone loves before he started his big time career he was behind the scene writing hit songs for other singers, he finally got to sing his own songs and now he's a multiple grammy award and multiple cmt awards. Sturgill simpson is one of the best sounding traditional modern singers around in my opinion he started out with a band called sunday valley they made great music but they never completely took off. Sturgill left the band and went on his own he came out with many good songs for example old king coal, hero, poor rambler, water in a well.  These songs have some of the best soul to them they connect with you every time you listen to them. These songs aren't just about a girl on a truck dancing there about his hometown and his home state he was born in kentucky old king coal  is about the coal mines and how the big corporations from the city and took all the money away from the people that live here. In my opinion he deserves to be a cmt country singer but rumors are that cmt won't sign  him because of some his songs but that's another paper for another time.

Conclusion

Country music is the best music ever i will argue that till i die. Theres two types old traditional music and new country music. There's nothing wrong with new country music but sometimes it's not real it sounds like pop music. there are however many modern country songs that are real country music. The best that sing the best traditional music that ar modern are chris stapleton sturgill simpson.

i live in kentucky im a 8th grader that was boarn and raised in kentucky ive got my own cows and my own farm that is mine i enjoy taking cae of my cows i enjoy taking care of my girlfriend and my family. i love the game of football and baseball. i actully like school to a certain extent. im also very patriotic i love the gretest country on this earth america.