Pantera | Teen Ink

Pantera

By DimebagDarrell333 BRONZE, Keller, Texas
DimebagDarrell333 BRONZE, Keller, Texas

When I hear the name Pantera, about a million things run through my mind of things to say about them. They have influenced my musical taste since I was born and made me who I am today.

Let's start with Dimebag Darrell…
If it isn't already obvious enough, I have basically idolized him, to the point that I use similar speech phrasing and act like him, whether it be at home, in public, or on stage. He was so kind to absolutely every one of his fans. He absolutely NEVER let them down. He helped the more unprivileged kids by, like, buying them a guitar and a little amp to get them started in life, so, all around good guy.

Next comes the vocalist, Philip H. Anselmo. I get a lot of the vocal influence from him. He not only could sing, but when he did the screams he did, they always had voice behind them. I mean, sure, the screams that he and I do are absolutely ruining my voice, but it sounds cool. And he has also taught me that you, if you do something wrong that could possibly kill you, for example overdosing on heroin, you can recover from your mistakes and turn those “light switches” off and never do it again.

Vinnie Paul, the drummer, the business man, the brother. I've learned that I can have fun, but also, when necessary, have a serious business attitude. It's funny, though, because, one of the Abbotts’ family friends said that she LOVED Dimebag, and she liked Vinnie. Also, when I decide to start drumming in my free time, I get a lot of the groove type playing and blast beating to a standard beat type playing from him and how he plays.

Now, last but certainly not least, Rex Brown. What a way to learn how to out-drink everyone around you. (Insert canned laughter here) No,  but seriously, that man is a Vulgar Display of Liquor. His style of accompaniment and spot on rhythms with Dimebag's riffs is almost magical. I mean, sure, they were in a band together for almost 20 years, but still, ever since that first concert that I saw on video, which was them playing a cover of Metallica’s “Seek and Destroy” at Joe’s Garage, which is, sadly, closed now… I'm getting off track… ANYWAYS… When I heard them play that song, I knew that this was a combination from the heavens.

After reading this, I hope you understand exactly why I love Pantera as much as I do.

Thank you.

I just felt that my views on the band that I grew up with and have loved, basically, since birth, should be shared with the world, and for those who think that bands like this are "screamo" or something like that, but I believe that there is a fine line between a groove metal band, such as Pantera, and a "screamo" band, such as Antioch Arrow, or stuff like it