HipHop | Teen Ink

HipHop

By Donn1220 BRONZE, Amherst, New York
Donn1220 BRONZE, Amherst, New York

hip hop just might be the most popular genre of music even if you're not supporter of this genre  you probably caught yourself dancing to a nice hip hop beat and a catchy hook. But Do you know that people who listen to Hip Hop regularly  are more likely to have issues with drugs or alcohol use? Since late 1990’s it is recorded that more than half of hip hop songs mention some type of drug. Hip-hop is rapidly becoming more popular and all because of its lyrics (PIRE: Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, 2006).  this is why Hip hop is promoting violence.
Hip-hop began in late 1970’s, first recorded hip hop track was Sugar Hill Gang’s rapper's Delight. But some say it goes even further back when slaves told stories in a rhythm. For many years African American man were looked down on so they wanted to express themselves they rapped about their struggle similar to hip hop first years during early 1980’s. Rap told stories of African Americans in the ghetto rap was the first time African American man could speak against the public as young black men growing up in the ghetto they are exposed to a different lifestyle as others most are poor and feel society are no help to them so they do illegal things for money (MCdonnell, 1992).

Lyrics in rap music is not positive as they use to be instead of rapping about trying to get out of the hood they rap about how much they got to get the next rapper jealous. Rap is slowly destroying black communities stories rappers tell is about how many guns and drugs they got hip hop took a turn for the worst when songs like Cop killer by Ice-T and Nwa’s F*** the police were released during mid 1990’s also known for it love for drugs most rappers such as Afroman and Wiz khalifa promote the use of marijuana. Youth of all ages have access to music that promote juvenile behaviors  as late 1990’s approached rappers began  to talk about each other especially tupac and The Notorious B.I.G they were the start of east coast and west coast tensions hip hop separated west coast and east coast rappers no longer did feature together after Tupac was shot in Las Vegas The Notorious Big wanted to change hip hop so he went to california to end the beef unfortunately he was shot and killed from the lyrics notorious big rapped like Who Shot Ya and Going Back To Cali lead to this event lyrics in those songs spoke as if he was untouchable so unknown individuals proved him wrong

mid 1990s females began to rap they rapped about how they were supposed to be treated differently that are not an object Mc lyte and  Salt N Pepper showed that they could be rappers. they are one of the first to give  African American women positive image constantly male rapper kept disrespecting women in their songs, but some songs like keep your head by tupac showed that black women are and should be treated like queens even today rappers  like lil wayne give women a negative image talk down on them put females in videos dancing inappropriately as young girls watch videos like that they will slowly began to think it normal and began to walk and talk like the girls from the videos male rapper feel that they can talk anyway they want to female so songs like B****es aint S*** by tyga and yg show that women are under them and  should not have a say in today's society even female rappers give women negative image they twerk and do unlady like things instead of changing that female rapper won't show their intelligence  and creative minds today there is not one female rapper that are positive role models for young girls unlike in the early 1990’s when there was various positive female rapper and just like boys some girls want to grow up and be like their favorite rapper.(La Times ,2002)

Youth in the ghetto are exposed to a lot of negative energy from killings to knowing only one parent and to drugs and alcohol. Kids are more likely to be affected by something if they constantly hear it most people do not know that effects them children will began to believe that living that way is normal so if kids repeatedly hear something they will believe it so when their favorite rap song comes on the radio lyrics that  disrespect women use of drugs they will grow up living that way kids in the ghetto want to live a different lifestyle so they listen to the person with the money and fancy cars not their parent the person that struggling just for them to eat

Some rap artist are positive influences but just aren't as famous from rakim to lupe fiasco unlike other rapper they do not sell more albums  and make as much money they because rappers like lupe is one of the few of today rapper that express social issues to political issues he give urban communities hope that African american can be more like doctors or professors other rappers like wale who is well known from washington dc he is one of the few rapper who keeps Dr Martin luther king legacy alive he raps about nonviolent is possible respecting women and respecting everybody in general should be i be practiced  and j cole one of the only rapper that mainly raps about how everybody make mistakes that nobody perfect and just because someone thinks you're ugly or weird some else think your beautiful and perfectly normal his songs crooked smile and nobody's perfect are two of his biggest positive songs.