Who is the Better Super Hero: The Green Arrow or The Flash? | Teen Ink

Who is the Better Super Hero: The Green Arrow or The Flash?

By emooney6418 BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
emooney6418 BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida

Super Heroes peak my interest because they help you realize people with normal lives can change and can become something greater that can help people. These characters are not just silly fake ideas they are signs of inspiration and hope to others much like veterans or police officers are they help ordinary people each and every day. To get off the serious note, two super heroes who interest me the most are the Flash and the Green Arrow which are characters in running TV series’ on CW18. Basically the Flash is a man named Barry Allen who fights crime in a place called Central City. The Green Arrow is Oliver Queen and helps save Star City, formerly known as Starling City, which neighbors Central City. Both these heroes have worked together multiple times and know each other’s secret identities, they are also good friends. This of course leads everyone to the question who is the better super hero. Well, I hope to answer that question right now.

I will start this process by explaining the background of the two characters starting with Barry Allen. Barry’s story begins when he was just a young boy and his mother was mysteriously murdered by what looked like a cloud of lightning, his father was then charged with the murder of his mother and sent to prison for life. Barry then grew up in the house of his best friend Iris’ house. Iris’ father, Joe West, takes Barry in. This was no easy task because he was a single father but Barry eventually was like a son to Joe. Joe is a detective in the local police force and when Barry grows up he becomes a forensic scientist in this police force. Barry idolizes a scientist named Harrison Wells who makes a particle accelerator which is basically a machine to help humans learn many new things. This machine does not work and it blows up causing many deaths in the city. Barry Allen was struck by lightning and put in a comma. When Barry wakes up he is in S.T.A.R. Labs the facilities that made this particle accelerator and he soon realizes this lightning bolt gave him super speed. Barry gets help from his new found friends at S.T.A.R. Labs Cisco Ramon, Kaitlin Snow, and Harrison Wells to figure out how to use powers and investigate the murder of his mother which is still unsolved. Barry also begins to fight other people with crazy powers like his who do not use them for good but evil. Barry is good man who cannot stand letting others get hurt much different than our other super hero.

Oliver Queen’s story begins when we here about a young rich kid who likes to abuse others. Oliver’s parents are billionaires and we start this saga when Oliver goes on a cruise on his yacht the Queen’s Gambit with his father Robert. The ship is wrecked and Oliver is the only survivor where he rides his safety raft to deserted island. Oliver is eventually rescued and taken back to Starling City. Oliver’s mother, Moriah, is very glad she gets to see her son again but Oliver’s sister Thea is not as thrilled. Thea is still in shock Ollie is back and is very discouraged that he is not the nicest man in the world per say. While Ollie was on this island he learned skills to help survive and has great archery abilities upon his return. At first, Oliver continues his old partying ways but he also kills bad people at night. He begins to go by the Arrow and his city knows him as a vigilante who needs to be brought to justice. Over time as the Arrow Oliver realizes he cannot keep killing people and begins to stop working so much against the law but with it. Oliver also gets friends to help him save his city and eventually becomes a good man regardless of his terrible past. Oliver later goes by the Green Arrow to signify change in himself and his city.

Both of these men end up as honorable people. Barry Allen was never a bad person and always did what was best for the people around him. On the other hand, Oliver Queen grew up as a selfish and arrogant rich kid but eventually blossomed to become a good man. Now shall we get to the fun part and talk about the super powers. Barry Allen obviously can run at extremely high speeds and he can move different parts of his body at high speeds. Barry can run so fast he hit bad guys with a cool move called the supersonic punch which is quite menacing. Barry can run so fast he can rip holes in the space time continuum and go back in time which doesn’t always get as useful as you might think. Conversely, Oliver Queen has no true “super powers” but rather uses his mind and his body to win battles. Oliver has great dexterity with his bow and is very adept in hand to hand combat. Oliver has a way of out smarting his enemies rather than out running them, get it funny right. Oliver begins to create special arrows with the help of his friends such as explosive arrows or arrows with a magnetized tip to pull guns or other weapons to it. Both of these men are heroes but now we have to ask ourselves “who is the better hero”? That has to be one of the hardest questions you could possibly answer but, I can try.

The easiest way I can decide is by writing a checklist. Oliver is the more experienced of the two by many years. Barry and Oliver both have constant help from their respective teams while fighting. Barry technically has the physical advantage considering he can run about 1,500 miles faster which is quite precise. If I were to choose who has better instincts it would have to be Barry because he can catch bullets and knives flying through the air although Oliver does have great instincts. Barry Allen is more of a super hero while Oliver Queen does still have ruthless vigilante on his resume even if he is a good man and great hero presently. Barry has a much less tattered past and people tend to die a lot less around Barry. Both of these heroes are inspirations and are wonderful creations. The ideas behind people like these are phenomenal and they make it so difficult for me to choose my favorite. Which is why I leave it to you to decide. Who do you think is the better super hero?

on May. 15 2017 at 1:22 pm
whyamistillalive,
greenarrow cna also catch knifes and arrow and the way flash fights is reckless and barry has lost fights to oliver and oliver has a more secret lair then barry ya bish

BVND said...
on Sep. 11 2016 at 7:31 am
i think arrow is better hero than flash coz, flash thinks himself as a superhero and no one else could compete with him. That looks like pride but Arrow after his five years hell experience he started to know things patiently and he follows up his mind not only having powers and he believe brain is the first supernatural power to him, but flash always thinks with his powers he can defeat anyone rather than his brain he believes more in his brain that lacks me more interest on him. So, i choose Arrow.