TV is Evil

Watching TV is a huge waste of time. Just thinking about this poignant topic makes me angry. When I think of how many hours I have spent watching TV it makes me sick. The average kid watches 1,680 minutes per week of television. A 16 year old like me would have spent a total of about 2.7 years watching TV. Think of what could be done with three years on my hands! I can hardly believe I was coerced into spending my time in such a fruitless manner. Instead of doing something productive millions of people choose to inundate their brains with garbled nonsense.
Let’s face it, we are addicted to television. Most people exhibit four or five symptoms of dependency regarding TV. That’s more than enough to reach a clinical diagnosis of substance abuse. We need a comprehensive plan to get unhooked. Unfortunately, it isn’t possible to quit watching TV cold turkey so the only thing we can do is replace it with something less phlegmatic.
Our extra time can be best used by working together to colonize the lovely, sanguine planet mars. The earth is on its way down. We are faced with pollution, overpopulation, and many other catastrophic dilemmas that will consume anyone who doesn’t get of the way. Scientists all corroborate that the earth’s time is limited. We all need to be motivated by this impending doom to make a zealous effort to survive.

ShellyToll said...
TV, like all things, is fine in moderation. I only watch a forth of what an average teenager watches (with the exception of when I'm sick). Yes it is sickening to look at the numbers. Television is ironically one of the main causes of both obesity and eating disorders. I'm not sure about rebuilding on Mars though. I think what we should be doing is focusing on the improving Earth and making changes to preserve it rather than moving on to destroy a new planet. Earth is not the problem, we are.

sethitus said...
I sort of agree... but the thing about colonizing Mars seems a little far fetched. I mean, if humanity is that destructive and wasteful on Earth, what would make them change once they could live on mars? Also wouldn't it be better for humanity to work together and solve the problems at hand rather than just leaving the planet a mess for a new one? That was just something that bothered me, otherwise I totally agree technology has become very addicting, it took me a year to realize how much it... (more »)

SlowNimes7 said...
Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:38 am
Yeah, and bullying peolple that cant go to hawaii for a vacation is okay? TV is affordable, if more people could do something else they probably would.I'm lucky, i live on Kauai and can do constuctive things,(swimming, dollmaking, yoga, aroebics, cooking, art, homeschool, movie theaters)

bigappleheart said...
I understand your point but I felt this was moreso a rant then actually trying to have the reader absorb your thoughts and opinions.

Breece6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
TV is just a new form of media.  There are plenty of beautiful artistic works to be seen on TV, on top of that if no one watched TV tons of industries would topple and produce joblessness.

she-is-a-strange-duck said...
I agree with you, but the whole moving-to-mars thing kind of threw me off... that just seemed like a whole other essay to me

ZeeBYoung said...
Watching tv isnt a total wast of time, not if you have it on National Geographic, Animal Planet, and the Science Channel. Im one of the few who actually bothers to turn to these chanels. But I agree. Sadly most people who sit in front of the tv would rather spend it watching things like Jersey Shore

TeaCat said...

I haven't watched TV in 3 years in that time, I have read nearly all of  the Bronte sisters', Shakespeare's, Jane Austen's, work and I think it is fascinating. Everyone elso could, too, if they weren't oggling at a glowing screen for half of their waking lives. And before I got rid of my TV, I only read an average of one book a week. I also  wrote nine of my eleven short stories after I ditched it, too. And three of my four novels. Occasinally I do indulge in  watching an onlin... (more »)

Oregonian said...
NOT A WASTE OF TIME AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SilentQ said...
Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:28 am
Good Idea, but the part about Mars just made it a little weird. That seems like it should be in its own article, not crammed into this one. You should also never use 'I' or 'You' in a formal essay. You want the facts to speak for themselves. You don't have to say that its a waste of time, that will be implied. Has a lot of potential, but needs some editing.

totalbookworm96 said...
Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:03 am
hmm, not exactly uplifting, is it? i completely agree with you about the whole TV thing, but the earth is on its way down? true, pollution and overpopulation are problems, and of course time is limited, it always has been, but we dont face "impending doom". thats a bit melo-dramatic

BradP27 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'd like to respectfully disagree. Though TV is certainly not the most constructive way to spend one's time, it's a long way from being 'evil' per se. And you were 'coerced' into doing nothing. Free will applies to TV as well, and if you can't muster the willpower to say 'no' or turn it off then you don't have much business writing this.

I do, however, agree with you that we should work on colonizing Mars. However, I don't see what TV would do... (more »)

Amber1994 said...
2.7 years?!? Is that really a correct statistic??

SloopyMcCoy said...
You said it.
2.7 YEARS????? Holy cowww! Holy cowww! Holy gwacamolie!!! OH GUESS WHAT I HAVE GWACAMOLIE IN MY CUPBOARD!!! WHOOO!