Why I Love Music | Teen Ink

Why I Love Music

There are countless things that I love in this world.  I love chocolate milk, sleeping in, bright colors, and ice cream.  But the thing I love the most is music.  Music has such a wide range of possibilities.  A person can listen to Tchaikovsky’s compositions from the 1800’s Romantic era one day and then listen to listen to heavy metal bands such as Five Finger Death Punch the next day.  People can bond over music very easily.  However, music is also perfect for listening to when someone wants to be alone.

When I’m alone, I enjoy listening to anything from MGMT, a neo-psychedelic rock band, to Iron & Wine, an indie folk singer/songwriter.  Music can be seen as a chance to escape the troubles of the real world.  During those tough times in life, it’s nice to simply go on a walk or something and listen to some music.  The lyrics and musical structure of a song can offer insight or comfort to the listener depending on the song and style.

One of the most interesting things about music is the way it doesn’t need to make sense to be considered “good.”  What is “good music” to one person may very well not be to another.  We all think differently and go through different experiences in life, therefore, we all have a different taste in something as diverse as music.  Music is more about feelings and emotion rather than logic or reasoning.  It’s extremely similar to poetry in a sense that it can convey emotions or thoughts without directly saying what the author/artist is intending to explain.

It’s hard to imagine a world without music.  Everything would seem dull and colorless.  Music adds life and personality to anything and everything.  Simple activities that everyone does almost everyday such as getting dressed or showering become more interesting.  Whether a person loves to listen to today’s top forty hits or extremely obscure bands, almost everyone enjoys music.  He/she may not listen to it constantly but music is one of the few things that will always be there for a person at the end of the day.

HumbleBee SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
I was looking through articles mentioning MGMT, and I came across your article. I noticed that you also mentioned Iron and Wine, and I want to say that these are two of my favorite bands! Then, to make it even weirder, I noticed under the title it says Defiance, OH, which is where I am from! Anyway, this is an excellent article; great job!