Books and the Works of George R.R. Martin | Teen Ink

Books and the Works of George R.R. Martin

By Tyr10n BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Tyr10n BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer, and I have my mind...and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That's why I read so much, Jon Snow." ---George R.R. Martin

Books, books are amazing.  If someone writes a book, they are writing about something they know and care about.  Books help bring out people’s imaginative sides.  There are many different ways for a book to end. They can end badly for the main characters, or they could end in a great way for them.  This all depends on the writer.  Once the pen hits the paper, or their fingers touch the keyboard, a writer becomes god.  They can kill off characters without mercy, they control every action that a character makes, and they create every setting, scene, and plot to their books.  Some books have a tragic hero that tries to be the good guy, but fails and is either killed or shamed in the process.  Some have antiheroes that try are the good guys, but they don’t have the traditional hero attributes.  One book series that contains both of these is the A Song of Ice and Fire series written by George R.R. Martin.

The A Song of Ice and Fire series is a series of five books that isn’t completed yet based in a fictional world that contains two major continents, Westeros and Essos.  The story bounces back and forth between several different characters of different backgrounds and loyalties.  One chapter someone could be reading about a dashing prince and his mother who only seek the release of their father/wife, and the next someone could be reading about a small dwarf of a man that has been deformed since birth and is shunned by his family, both in Westeros, or someone could be reading about an exiled princess in the distant city of Meereen in Essos.  The series has many different events that take place over the course of the entire series, and Martin is an amazing writer capable of bringing even minor characters to life through immense detail, though; he does tend to go into so much detail with food that the reader begins to grow hungry and salivate.

Martin’s work is one of the many examples of beauty in literature.  Many other writers, such as Edgar Allen Poe, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, Charles Dickens, or James Joyce, have work that also shows the beauty of literature, but all of them have different writing styles and ways of creating characters and worlds.  Each writer grew up in a different time and place within our wonderful world, and each of them has their own amazing story to tell.