End Up Here | Teen Ink

End Up Here

March 18, 2015
By Anonymous

They were discovered in 2013 by the world's biggest boy band, One Direction. 5 Seconds of Summer, an Australian boy band made their name on YouTube. The band was handpicked by One Directions to open for them on their world wide tour, the Where We Are Tour. Niall Horan of One Direction commented on 5 Seconds of Summer, “We discovered 5SOS on YouTube last year and we all knew straight away they were very special. We’re so excited to have them on the road with us and we know our fans are going to LOVE what these lads do.” Hemmo1996, the YouTube username of Luke Hemmings, the lead singer of the band, was used to start the channel. He started solo doing covers of songs, he then added Calum Hood, Michael Clifford, and Ashton Irwin. The band consists of 2 guitarists, 1 bass guitarist, 1 drummer and all the boys can sing. 5 Seconds of Summer, or better known as 5SOS, have won 25 awards since being discovered, and are/were nominated for many more. They will also be starting their own worldwide tour; May 4th will start their Rock Your Socks Off Tour, where they have already sold out 21 of their 70 shows. The band would not have been able to have the success they did at the rate they did without the internet, more specifically YouTube. 5SOS was not the only band to be discovered on the Internet. 2014 rising start Shawn Mendes was discovered because of all his hits on Vine. Justin Bieber and Austin Mahone were discovered on YouTube also. Justin Bieber was discovered at 12 years old and Austin Mahone was 14. Both Bieber and Mahone are still very relevant and creating new music. Mendes is still on his rise up, so is 5 Seconds of Summer.