Why I Like Horror Movies | Teen Ink

Why I Like Horror Movies

By Jason DiCenso BRONZE, Johnston, Rhode Island
Jason DiCenso BRONZE, Johnston, Rhode Island

I am a fan of horror movies. I think they are entertaining and fun to watch. When I tell people about my opinion about these types of films they either agree with me or look at me like I am insane. To all those people who do think I am crazy for liking horror movies I am going to explain why I am not.

There are multiple reasons as too why I like scary movies. One reason is because of the adrenalin that they give you. When I am watching one and the music is getting more intense and my palms are clammy, I know something is about to scare me and I love that feeling. Another reason is the actual scares themselves. During the movie I find it fun when something pops out on the screen and I cannot help but jump up in the air. After the movie is done all the things that were bad in my life before do not seem bad anymore. This is mostly because I am not being chased by a guy with a chainsaw. Another reason why I love horror movies is because there are so many of them. Most people think that they are all the same; however, that is not true at all. From found footage films to classic slasher films and everything in-between, there is a scare just for you. The last reason why I like scary movies is because it is a release of all the stress and anger you feel. When I am mad or stressed I watch a horror movie. After the movie I feel relieved not because I pretended I was the killer in the movie but because my brain was so concentrated on me being scared it forgot about all the stress in my life.

The entertainment value is not the only reason I love scary movies. I also love them because they release the fear seeking nerves inside. Inside everyone there is a natural instinct to respond to fear. Sweaty palms and a feeling that something bad might happen are warnings of fear. Without them people would not survive through life. However now that the world is safer than it was back when these warning signs were adapted by humans, people are not afraid as much. That is why I do not only love scary movies I also find them important. They are a controlled release of fear in the human body. Instead of living through fear we get to safely experience it.
When people tell me that I am crazy for watching scary movies, I ask them what they like to watch. People usually tell me dram or comedies which is the same as liking horror movies. The time they laugh or cry is the same as the times I scream. People watch movies for entertainment or as a break from their lives. It is all the same after no matter what genre the movies you watch. I also say that it is in human nature to respond to fear and it is an important response to maintain. To all the people who think I am crazy this is why I am not.