Can Music Help You Focus? | Teen Ink

Can Music Help You Focus?

February 16, 2015
By c0mback3 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
c0mback3 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Music. Everybody likes music, whether it’s pop, country, jazz, or even rock. But is it a problem, a bad thing to have while focusing, and should it be ruled out in classrooms? Some teachers and peers say yes it should be out ruled, music will just distract you from what you are trying to do. Whereas the students or the people using music say no it shouldn't, we should be able to have music; it helps us focus. But is there an answer? After looking through an abundance of research, I realized that it depends. I learned that music can actually help you focus, but you have to like it.

 

My first resource backing me up comes from the Wake Forest School of Medicine and the University of North Carolina Greensboro, a University and School motivated to find out if music can help you focus. They researched and tested, then wrote the article “Does music help you focus? Yes, but only if you like it.” They said, “When the research subjects listened to a preferred or a favorite song of theirs, they were better connected to a part of their brain called the default mode network, which is tied to how humans are able to switch between thinking about what’s going on around them and their self-referential thoughts.” Prior to this, they told us that 21 adults, with no more than six of them liking the same music genre, were asked to take a test in an MRI machine, listening to a self reported favored type of music, a liked type of music, and a disliked type of music. This all means that, proven from a study, if you were listening to a preferred or favorite type of music, you had better control of what you wanted to do, whether it was focusing on what you were doing, or what was going on around you. So, even though some teachers or peers may say music will distract you from what you are doing, as long as you want to focus, this quote and test proves them wrong.

 

My second source, the University of Windsor in Canada, researched and wrote the article, “Can listening to music boost your productivity?” This article showed me that different types of music and when you use them can help you more than others. They said, “According to the study, without background music the designers’ quality of work was lowest and it took them more time to complete tasks. With background music, participants reported positive mood change and enhanced perception while working. Plus, the researchers noted that this positive change in mood correlated with increased curiosity — an excellent thing to have when doing creative work.” This University was also one devoted to their research, and ended up taking good credible tests and to make sure their work quality was the best. This quote tells me that if you are doing creative things, like writing a story, or trying to think outside the box and make an opinion for your best judgment (hint hint), music is a good option for you. So if you already aren't listening to music while reading this article, go pause and grab some headphones. It may help you more that you expected!

 

My third and final resource, and possibly my most credible source comes from Dr. Teresa Lesiuk, a successful music therapist, who did research and wrote the article, “The power of music, tapped in a cubicle.” I trust her because she took many tests and studies, and she is also a successful music therapist. She said, “When you are stressed, you might make a decision more hastily; you have a very narrow focus of attention. When you’re in a positive mood, you’re able to take in more options.” She said this after seeing results from her own test. Afterward, it was stated, “Dr. Lesiuk found that personal choice in music was very important. She allowed participants in her study to select whatever music they liked, and to listen to it as long as they wanted.” Basically, after a series of tests, Dr. Lesiuk found that listening to preferred music can help you focus, and achieve a better mood, which allows you to take in more options.  

 

As you chew on this abundance of evidence, you should see that music will help you focus, as long as you like it. This newly born fact has been proven true by universities, as well as doctors and schools. So, next time when your teacher, parent, peer, or whoever, tells you to turn off the music, know that they are wrong, then prove it. Now the question is this, are you a music listener? If not, you should try it. Music can help you study, write, read, or do something creative. Now, go on to whatever else you need to do, and pop in some earbuds and music while you do!