Mocking Jay: Movie vs. Book | Teen Ink

Mocking Jay: Movie vs. Book

By Ayson BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Ayson BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii

“If we burn, you burn with us.” (Katniss Everdeen). I watched the movie and read the book Mocking Jay by Suzanne Collins. Collins is an excellent writer and a very mellow calm natured lady. Her book the Mocking Jay is to me, the best book I have ever read. It was about a girl named Katniss who unifies the 13 districts to fight with her against the poisonous capital run by the wicked President Snow. In order for the districts to unite, they need one leader or the Mocking jay to give them faith that the rebellion is real. Katniss then becomes the Mocking jay and they fight against the capital, which leads to the downfall of the capital. They then capture President Snow and she kills him, and their own manipulating president, President Coin along with Snow. In the end the world becomes a better place without the political powers of the government.

There were thousands of differences between the book and the movie. To me, I imagined district 13-underground, small and low technology place that was covered with debris from the buildings that once stood there, which was bombed by the Capital. But in the movie, it was a huge place with advanced technology like a printed schedule on your arm, state of the ark weaponry, and an unlimited supply of food and space for many people. It was hidden in a forest and covered with trees and wildlife.  In the book, everything seemed lively and active in the underground district of 13. But on the big screen, it seemed dark and gloomy. Everyone in the district seemed sad and lazy. That was a surprise to me. The lines of dialogue that were in the book were used in the movie so that was a plus. But, the director added a scene of his own. He added a scene where District 7, the wood and lumber District, bombed the Peace Keepers or the Capitals army. The laborers of District 7 ran up the huge redwood trees and triggered the explosives they planted in the ground the night before, and blowing up the Peace Keepers that always had a constant eye on them. I think the director made a good decision on that addition. It made the viewer see how the Mockingjay, Katniss, made an impact on the other districts and how she helped give them confidence to stand up for themselves and fight against the Capital. When I read the book, I imagined Katniss as this strong-minded “girl on fire” who could fight and do things on her own. But the director portrayed Katniss as this weak girl who cried a lot. And lets just say that Katniss, or Jennifer Lawrence needs to learn how to cry. It didn’t seem as heart felt as when others actors cry. It may have worked for all the touchy type people, but to me, it just didn’t work out.  I wish that the director ended the movie when the book ended. I wanted to see the whole book play out in one sitting. Now we have to wait for the next part to come out and I don’t have that much patients. I guess its good for the money for the producers, making people buy two movie tickets to see the ending of the Mockingjay.

I believed that the book was hands down, overall just way better. It fit together better and had more details than the movie showed you. The movie wasn’t bad; it just wasn’t better than the book. You guys need to get the book Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. It’s an excellent book and you should all read it.  I guarantee you, that you will not be disappointed.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion  ;)

I hope you guys enjoy my writting and have a wonderful time reading my work.  Thank you soo much for taking the time to read my article.