Cartoons Today are too Violent and Inappropriate | Teen Ink

Cartoons Today are too Violent and Inappropriate

By StevenBonini BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
StevenBonini BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts

"A heart is not judged by how much You love, but by how much You are loved by others"
-The Tin Man

What happened to cartoons? Today cartoons are so violent and inappropriate. It’s not right.

Violence
Kids today watch cartoons and think it’s a laughing stock. Back between the 40’s and 80’s It used to be a Bird dropping an anvil on a Coyotes head. You don’t see that anymore. Today we see shows where an all out gun war can break out in a dining hall. I saw a scene like that on Mr. and Mrs. Smith but this type of situation was aired on a kids show called “Regular Show”. Something like that should be for a teenage age group but instead we see it on a childrens network. If you look at a show like “Secret Squirrel”, he is an agent trying to catch villains with weapons that don’t really exist in modern times. Sure children will think it’s cool and funny but they cannot buy a weapon like that then go around and shoot people with it.

Inappropriateness
Now along with this violence every good cartoon must have it’s comedy. When it came to comedy on the older shows it had to do with violence but not violence that younger viewers could pick up on. An example is “Woody Woodpecker”. There was an episode where a dog tried to eat Woody so he threw the dog into a melting pot. Afterwards he attempted to cook the dog but the dog grabbed him and they fought it out in the pot. Soon enough they both jumped out of the pot and continued to go at it. This was comedy back then because their wasn’t much speaking involved. My point is here is that a 5 year old boy/girl would not try to throw their brother or sister into a pot and eat them. Neither would they pretend to do so because they can see that it is not realistic. Now if you take another example such as a show known as “Spongebob Squarepants” you would see that it is funny but for older viewers. If Spongebob was to say I love you to a random person then children would look at that and do the same. The more popular and funny the show is the more viewers it gets. It baffles me that inappropriate cartoon comedy attracts and pulls in younger viewers.

How to Stop this
There are some ways that this can be stopped. One way is if we were to make a another channel with all of the older shows on this then kids could watch this instead. People think it is a good idea to remake these cartoons but if we do the writers shall only make them like todays cartoons and add violence. Old original cartoons would seem new to the next generation of kids. Channels like Nick jr., PBS, and Sprout are viewed less and less by the younger generation. They are more attracted to the shows that are for the older age group and they begin to learn less. This can be stopped if parents would not introduce their children to shows like Spongebob in the first place.

Disagreement
Some people would disagree with me on my statement. Many would say that cartoons today are not too violent for children and that the older cartoons are more violent. People believe that a hunter trying to catch a rabbit is violent because it has a gun and he is firing at a living animal. Yes maybe the older cartoons are violent but kids cannot pick up on that type of violence. A situation like that can happen in real life. People hunt living animals for food. Now again I say a show such as “Regular Show” the episode where their was a full out gun war in the middle of a dining hall. That cannot happen in real life. With Tom and Jerry it’s a cat, mouse, and a dog fighting to the death but there's some comedy in there that isn’t very bad at all. Other people might argue with me that the comedy then was to violent. They might consider a hammer over a mouse’s head is bad cause he can be killed. In those types of shows it won’t happen because it’s supposed to be funny not stupid and overly aggressive. Kids will not try to kill you with a hammer while acting like a mouse. The comedy in todays cartoons such as “Adventure Time” is inappropriate. A character in the show named Finn was lying in bed when he then had an itch on his behind. He scratched it then smelled his fingers. Kids will pick up on that because it’s so stupid it’s funny. It is entertaining to them but not in a good way. You will not see that type of stupidity in older cartoons.

My point is, is that over the years cartoons have gone from entertaining to ridiculous. Shows should return to their funny, hilarious manner and get out of this new generation of cartoons that we call entertainment.

It's the truth. Their needs to be a change.

lkk4209 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 2 2014 at 9:46 pm
lkk4209 BRONZE, Somewhere, Massachusetts

"April Fool's Day is for amateurs. You never need an excuse to mess with people's heads."

"I may be lying in the gutter, but I'm staring up at the stars, honey."

This is interesting food for though, but I disagree. I think cartoons have always had a level of violence and inappropriate content throughout the ages, and I don't believe this level has risen significantly as of late. Take a look at "Ren and Stimpy," for example, a cartoon from twenty years ago, and you'll see it had much crazier content than "Regular Show." I also don't understand what makes you think a gun in a dining hall is somehow way more realisitic than a boiling pot of water or hitting someone in the head with a hammer or anvil. What makes you think children would be any more or less likely to emmulate either of these things?

Cbonini said...
on Jun. 16 2014 at 10:29 am
Love your passion for writing and creative thinking. Awesome job! So proud of you!