Define Music | Teen Ink

Define Music

January 10, 2014
By Brittany1996 SILVER, Waupun, Wisconsin
Brittany1996 SILVER, Waupun, Wisconsin
9 articles 1 photo 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game.


Every word has many different definitions. It has the noun definition, sometimes a verb definition, and then the paraphrased definition. Like music. Music has many definitions. The dictionary definition of it is “The science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity.” Talk about a lot of words in one definition. To me that looks like a lot of mumbo jumbo.
What is music? Music is many different things to many different people. To some, music is a stress reliever, it’s the way people say things when they can’t find the words to say them out loud. It can be a bunch of lost feelings put together to create a lifetime of memories.
When you listen to music do you actually hear it? Are you actually listening to words and getting the inner meaning out of the song? There are so many meanings to one song if you look at it in different perspectives.
Music could be the sound waves bouncing of the walls. Like on the tv show magic school bus. In one episode the show sound waves bouncing of the walls and going into other rooms like a bouncy ball. The blue light that goes from one person’s eardrum to the other person’s.
Then there is church music. Church music can be different from headphone music. At church you get to hear everyone singing in unison. All the different tones in the voices. The deep guys voice singing the song compared the the high ladies notes all coming together as one. The presence that comes through the walls as the music starts to play. To close your eyes and feel the warmth of the music going through your eardrums.

Life is like a song. Sometimes predictable, it can take you by surprise. Sometimes it’s confusing and sometimes music is just who the person is. It takes the person to a whole new level. It can help you escape from the world. Like a fantasy world. When people plug in their headphones and put them on their ears, they enter their own little world. No one else in the room is their in there mind. and the only thing they hear is the sound waves going through their ear drum. It’s just them and their music. Nothing else matters. I like music because I love emotion.

Music is an emotion, it’s a hobby, and to some its a life long story. When you listen and examine the actual words in a song, it tells a story about someone. Maybe it’s about a long one who died. Or about a breakup. Sometimes even about a dream. Authors of music write music to impact the listeners. To have the listener connect to the music thats playing. It’s all about the emotional connection to the words and the beat of the music. Let music impact you in your own way; in other words, run with it.
Playing music is just as powerful as listening to it. Being able to touch the piano keys, key by key and feel what you are singing as you are singing it. Feeling the stress come right out of your fingers as if it were steam coming out of a train. Lots of things tie into music. Not only just stress and feelings but talent comes into music. There are tons of different ways music can touch a life, a soul even. If you wrote a journal as a kid, or even as a grown up you could build your words into a song.
All these elements that I listed, the tv show, the church music, the emotion and the actual playing music; are all things that people may relate to when talking to music.


The author's comments:
Music is a very powerful tool in life.