Playing an Instrument has literally made my life Beter | Teen Ink

Playing an Instrument has literally made my life Beter

By JonathanPineda101 BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
JonathanPineda101 BRONZE, Elk Grove, California

Playing a musical instrument is hard. You have to learn how to play it, hold it, and learn the correct way to get sound out the instrument without making it sound terrible. It’s true, learning how to play an instrument takes time. But, think of all the benefits it could give you. Playing a musical instrument is beneficial in school and throughout life. When I found this out I thought “No way can this be true” but as I started thinking about it more, I was shocked!

One reason why playing a musical instrument is beneficial because when you read music you use all of your brain. You make choices in reading music like if you want it to be louder or quieter for example. When you do that you are using your creative side of your brain. You also use your logical side of your brain when you read music you are referring back to your memory to the correct position for the right note. Reading music trains your brain to use all of itself which helps you think more creatively and more logically as time goes on. This helps you write better essays and just helps you write in general.

Being in Band has helped me in life in so many ways. Mr. Mango has said so many didactic things that have helped me in everything that I do. Playing a musical instrument and being in the Co marching band has really benefited me. Being in the marching has taught me disciplined and how to be honest and respectful to my elders and my fellow peers. But the only way to get in Band is that you have to know how to play an instrument and know how to read music. If I wasn’t in the marching band I believe that I never would have had the interest in learning how to play 3 instruments. Also, history shows that people in Band tend to be a little smarter than the average student. As I found this out I was just blown away with amazement.

There are lots of other ways how learning how to play a musical instrument has benefited me throughout my life. But, one way is that it has strengthened the relationship between my parents and I. My dad, knowing how to make music, has been very proud of me for learning how to play 3 instruments. I believe if I never had the interest in learning how to play a instrument, I wonder if my parents and I would have the relationship we have today.
Learning how to play an instrument has given me better people skills because I have met some amazing people through Band. I’ve met some of my closest friends in band in 7th grade. My friends have impacted my life in a tremendous way. They have made me the person I am to this day. So, playing a musical instrument can lead you to meeting new people. You never know, you could meet a person who could change your life completely.

I hope I have persuaded you enough to encourage you to learn how to play an instrument and to stick with it. All in all, learning how to play any musical instrument can be very beneficial.

I have been in band for about 4 and a half years now and i just wanted to encourage people to learn how to play an instrument.