Music Enthusiast's Dream | Teen Ink

Music Enthusiast's Dream

By Ali Smith BRONZE, Crested Butte, Colorado
Ali Smith BRONZE, Crested Butte, Colorado

Music Enthusiast's Dream
What if there were classes where listening to music was the activity, and discussing the musical qualities was the class work? What if you got credit for this class? And what if this class was actually really fun? In some places there are, they’re called Music Appreciation classes. The problem is, these classes need to be available at high schools everywhere. I, like many others am very passionate about music and all of its different genres, sounds, instruments, and other qualities. Music is part of being human, so why not have a class recognizing the different elements that humans give music?
Musical education, whether it is learning to play an instrument or actively listening to music, has been connected to human intelligence. First, music uses sections throughout your brain. For example, music [playing and listening to] involves all four of the lobes in your brain. Scientists have found that music lessons and listening to music leads to a larger planum temporal and a thicker corpus callosum. The planum temporal is related to reading and comprehension skills, while the corpus callosum is what connects the brain tissue together. Additionally, Spatial-temporal IQ scores are higher in children who practice in an arts program. (Schlaug, Rauscher). Following intelligence skills, musical awareness improves many skills that are important in today’s civilization. For instance, musical, worldly, and scholarly knowledge is of better quality and quantity in those who practice with music. People’s ability to interpret words is increased in music appreciation because lyrics are often analyzed. Deeper meanings are explored and students find themselves looking for the deeper meaning of other subjects outside of music class. This helps people build common sense while at the same time, building creativity (National Arts Education Research Center). Relating to human behavior, musical awareness helps many behavioral and educational issues in school. Listening to music has been proved to lesson violent and obnoxious behavior in students. Music classes also help solve self esteem issues in children, teens, and adults. High school students who are involved in music, band, music appreciation, and other arts programs score an average of 63 points higher on the verbal SAT and 44 points higher in the math SAT. This fact should scream something to all Americans involved in education. American education systems need help, and this could be a way to improve student performance.
Musical education not only improves learning abilities, it improves children’s view of society and the world. Primarily, music is culture. People who are exposed to different styles and forms of music are exposed to different styles and forms of life. In a typical music appreciation class, different genres including classical, opera, pop, jazz, rock, rap, and many others are studied. In addition to all of these genres, students will listen to music from all around the world and learn to differentiate the cultural differences. All of this exposure to the world’s art widens human’s “taste” of music while also teaching them to hear more elements of music. Second, music is connected to human memories and emotions. For instance, music can trigger happiness and sadness, anger and excitement, fear and love. Music can motivate movement and ultimately engages our brains (“Music Appreciation Primer”). Music is expression. What better way to improve our senses, intelligence, and self-awareness? Music appreciation classes will inspire people to become closer to music and culture. Third, musical appreciation improves human’s stance in society. For example, those who are involved in music appreciation develop the ability to have intelligent, unbiased conversations about music and other like subjects ("Getting Ready For College Early"). People who know music, especially worldly music, may develop the ability to start conversation and make friends almost anywhere that they go. Musical appreciation leads to musical knowledge which leads to a better chance of social success. Musical people are often less violent and have more self awareness, this is, yet another, reason why music appreciation classes should be required, or at least available as an elective.
Lastly, music improves life. For example, music promotes psychological, spiritual, and physical health. Music has been known to have healing powers when treating people with mental traumas. Second, music brings the world together. Friends, family, lovers, and strangers all come together when music is present. Concerts are a huge example of this, thousands of strangers all come to one place to appreciate the music that they love. Music appreciation class is a smaller scale of this: twenty-or-so students come together to listen, learn, and appreciate music. Music offers different perspectives of life, music is art, music is expression, and music is worth being listened to.
In conclusion, musical appreciation classes should be an option for high school students. Around the world, music is constantly being listened to. Why not learn to appreciate it? Music will always be there for human beings. Music brings us together. Music helps us find ourselves. Music is how we, human beings, express ourselves. Whether you are a Classical Music Snob or a Gangsta’ Rap Worshipper, Indie Rock Hipster or Today's Hits Junkie. Music is art, and art is meant to be analyzed, questioned, and appreciated.

I have a passion for music, and I'd love to see a class in the near future where I can share my musical interests with peers.