Kiss and Tell | Teen Ink

Kiss and Tell

When you hear a song on the radio, do you start to sing along? You probably answered yes, but do you always know what you are singing? Today many people sing along with songs without even processing the messages, sometimes you can’t really understand the words. Katy Perry’s song “I Kissed a Girl” is easy to understand, but her real message is telling you it’s okay to do something wrong just because you’ve never done it before. “I Kissed a Girl” uses simple, short phrases, and the singer’s immature point of view to tell us she kissed a girl and she liked it. The song’s message is to tell the audience that it’s okay and cool to go against nature just to experiment with something. Overall, I dislike this song because I don’t want to know who she’s been kissing, the writer tries to make a controversial topic cool, and it goes against nature.

If one does not look deeper into the meaning of the song, it may seem pointless. The purpose of the song would seem like she just wanted to tell us she kissed someone. “I kissed a girl and I liked it” Katy Perry must not have received the message that you don’t kiss and tell. If Katy Perry wrote a song about everyone she kissed, you may start to mix up all her different songs. The song’s line: “You're my experimental game” shows us that the singer did not even kiss this person out of love; she just wanted to see what would happen. She even had to work up the courage by drinking as the line “I got so brave, drink in hand” suggests. This is telling us, the audience, that it’s okay to try something just because you have never done something before. It’s even more exciting because it is considered “wrong” by society. Does that mean it’s okay or cool to rob a bank if you’ve never done it before because society says it’s “wrong?” This contributes to my dislike of this song because there was no reason behind what she did; besides the fact that she was drunk and has no morals.

The singer uses her public platform to push her views on other people. Katy Perry knows people look up to her, so she tries to make kissing the same gender cool and right. The intended audience is teenagers who are still trying to figure out who they are. The song states: “It's not what, Good girls do. Not how they should behave” Katy Perry is demonstrating if a young girl wants to be adventurous, she must not follow the rules. By getting the previous idea into a young girls mind, Perry would then be able to push her ideals on this innocent girl. The song is upbeat with short phrases so it could easily be stuck in your head, after repeating it many times a girl could start to wonder what it’s like to kiss another girl. Perry wants this song to work into your brain and make you wonder, think, and then act. This song is inappropriate because the singer is just using her popularity to influence others into going against what is traditional, and if you don’t agree then you’re not ‘cool’ or there is something wrong with you. This gives me another reason to hate this song because someone is pushing their ideals onto me.

Perry claims it is “Just human nature” but it’s not. Human nature is to be in a relationship with someone of the opposite sex. The reason to receive the gift of marriage is to have a family, and it is impossible to create a child from two people of the same gender. It is not natural to get married and not propagate the human species. Any species will die out if they do not repopulate. It is against human nature and even she knows it as she says so herself, “it felt so wrong, it felt so right.” The reason it felt “wrong” is because it is unnatural to be sexual without the intent of having children. The only way that it would be “natural” or feel so “right” is if she was trying to promote population control. This song’s story is about exploring the other side of the equation. This topic is my number one reason of disliking the song; it is suggesting a non-traditional marriage.

Katy Perry’s song, “I Kissed a Girl” is wrong on so many levels. I hate this song because it’s a kiss and tell, it makes something wrong sound ‘cool’, and it does not agree with human nature. I don’t remember when I first heard this song, but I was probably in 8th or 9th grade. When I heard the song for the first time I probably didn’t think much of it besides the fact that it was stupid. It was about a month ago when I realized the true meaning of “I kissed a Girl”. It may not seem like this to other people, but I don’t like how the singer tries to push her ideas on to everyone else. We can even look at the song’s story from another point of view: Perry was trying to show the effects of being drunk, and the message is not to be drunk because you will do “bad” things, or considering she’s Katy Perry, we can look at it from my point of view. Either way you choose to analyze it, I still dislike it. Call me old school, but the dislike of this song shows that I am for the natural marriage between a man and woman.

Mollybug16 BRONZE, Cleveland, Tennessee

Impossible is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try.

I couldnt agree with you more. Very well written.