Seeking Serendipity | Teen Ink

Seeking Serendipity

By dlyamkin31 BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
dlyamkin31 BRONZE, Solon, Ohio

Seeking Serendipity

Language and thought are essential for each other’s existence; Language cannot be created without thought while thought cannot be triggered without language. The two topics may come across one’s mind when encountering serendipity: the faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident. Serendipity is found every single day when people listen to music, watch films, or read papers. When a person comes across a work that differs their thinking perspective, the language of the work is connecting and changing their thought process.

While listening to music one day, I found my own serendipity. When “Dust in the Wind” by Kansas was broadcasted on the radio, my mind began working around the song’s lyrics. Without breaking down the words, someone might have found the tune catchy and sorrowful. But when I heard the phrases “nothing lasts forever but the Earth and sky” and “everything is dust in the wind”, I was shocked; The lyrics were very meaningful yet incredibly simple. I believe that the entire song and, more specifically, these lyrics are a great example of how language and thought interact with one another. In other words, if the artist were to change the language, I might not have been able to look at the lyrics this way. And without thought from the listeners, the language would have no meaning to it other than take up space. I was mainly dumbfounded by the validity of the lyrics; “nothing lasts forever but the Earth and sky” which is clearly stating that whatever grows, lives, or is built on this planet will not outstand the Earth itself and the sky above it. Furthermore, the title is derived from the phrase “everything is dust in the wind”. Also a simple fact but worded uniquely, the line supports the previous one; whatever exists will just blow away as “dust” while time goes on. As the song went on, I was no longer just listening; I was exploring the different thoughts that popped up in my mind. Everything that I have ever seen, touched, or loved will too become “dust in the wind”, just as we all will. Though it seems a tad depressing, the lyrics remind everyone that their most prized things in life will be gone one day. Whether we will be around to see that day or not, it will come eventually. The song is a great example of how a few uniquely phrased words can lead to such touching and reminding thoughts.