How to Become a Master of Tickling the Ivories | Teen Ink

How to Become a Master of Tickling the Ivories

April 18, 2013
By Camiron Schafer BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Camiron Schafer BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Bach, Mozart, and Debussy-- do you know who these people are? They are all famous piano composers. Have you ever wanted to become a famous pianist or composer? If so, today is your lucky day! This paper is a guide of how to play the piano. There are three simple steps you must follow to learn. You must know how to read music, you must know the keys on a piano, and finally, you must have access to a piano with which you will become a master.

Different types of pianos are available that you can use to practice and play. You have two simple options, a standard upright piano or a full-length electric keyboard. Once you become a more advanced player you can buy something more complex, like a grand piano. The average price for an upright would be around $3,000. I would recommend this to a person who is not technologically advanced and do not plan on having late night practice sessions. The only downside to owning an upright would be paying for someone to tune your piano regularly. The average price for a tuning is around $90. If you are more technologically advanced, you do plan on having late night practice sessions, or you want something smaller than an upright, then I would recommend a keyboard. The best place to purchase a keyboard would be The Guitar Center in Woodbury, MN. The price of a keyboard would be between $100-$500. Once you have your piano of choice, you are ready to go!

If you happen to be a fast learner, reading music should be extremely easy for you. most people who are learning to play piano are singers or happen to play another instrument. If you are not one of these people, tell your instructor beforehand and your first few lessons will be more in depth on learning to read music. The basics or reading music consist of knowing how long each note is, knowing key signatures, and knowing what each note on the scale is. The piano has six different notes (A, B, C, D, E, and F). Each note has three different variations (sharp, flat, and natural). After you have learned these notes, you should then be able to discover where they are on the piano!

The piano has exactly eighty-eight keys. In the middle of the piano is a note called Middle C. Most people begin there. As lessons become more advanced, they move out to the ends of the piano. The piano has exactly thirty-six black keys and fifty-two white keys. The order for white keys is alphabetical (A, B, C, D, E, and F). The black keys represent the sharps and flats of notes. Once fact that most people don’t know is that one key represents at least two notes! For example, the C key represents C and B#. Once you have learned all these rules, you can finally begin to play!

I have been playing piano for about eight years, and I absolutely love it! I believe playing piano is an incredible way to express feelings and have fun! I would recommend learning to play piano for anyone-- whether they are young or old. Music is good for the soul, and it also brings out the best in people. With these simple steps nd a lot of hard work and practice, you too can someday become an amazing pianist!


The author's comments:
This piece of writing is a how to on playing the piano for all ages! I decided to write this piece because I have been playing piano for eight years, and I believe others should learn!