Shake It Out by Florence and The Machine | Teen Ink

Shake It Out by Florence and The Machine

March 31, 2013
By BlueSupernova ELITE, Cincinnati, Ohio
BlueSupernova ELITE, Cincinnati, Ohio
103 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Damn it, Ted!"


Shake It Out by Florence And The Machine is the most beautiful, powerful and sorrowful songs ever created. It carries the essence of what each of us carries around in our hearts- the burdens we carry on our backs, and how heavy those burdens can feel. It so beautifully expresses the process of letting go- and how painful and heartbreaking that can be. Each of us can relate to at least one line in that song- because, however big or small they may be, we all are haunted by our demons. This song is about shaking those burdens, those demons, those regrets, off your back. But the part that makes me feel so strong, so safe, when I listen to this song, is the fact that she, Florence, does not glorify herself, as artists often do, she does not claim it is easy to let go of the past, to let go of love, for she is a human. She, too, is always dragging that horse around.

This song has helped me get through sorrow, it has helped me let him go. It has made me strong, even when I was weak, even when I could see no way in the blinding darkness. Because it's always darkest before the dawn.