A Song for Any Occasion | Teen Ink

A Song for Any Occasion

October 14, 2012
By Doug52498 BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island
Doug52498 BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In a bad mood? There’s a song for that. Feeling nostalgic? There’s a song for that, too. Fell in love? Maroon 5 has you covered. Music is amazing; there are songs for almost anything, and they sometimes know you better than you know yourself. Music has brought out thoughts and feelings in me that I didn’t even know I had. I love music because there are so many different things to experience and so many different ways to experience them. You can listen to music, write music, and play music, and each gives you a different taste of the same thing. I believe that a person without music is missing out on one of the best parts of life.

There are songs about everything, and that amazing variety means that anyone can find something to suit their mood. That’s what makes listening to music so great: there’s something for everyone. No matter how you feel, there’s a song out there that captures you, and that’s helped me out plenty of times. I, like most people, enjoy plenty of music, but I always feel like I don’t fully understand a song until I’ve experienced it. A song about a broken heart can be a beautiful piece of music, but it isn’t something that can be understood completely until you’ve had the same thing happen. However, once you’ve had that experience, the song will mean more than it ever could have otherwise; relating to music is the key to feeling it.

Music is the greatest form of self-expression. Artists can do more with notes and lyrics than they ever could using a brush and paint. Music creates vivid pictures too, only in a different way, and if done right, a song can be the best form of art. Songwriting is an art of its own, and it can be incredibly fun with awe-inspiring results. Sometimes others’ music doesn’t suit my needs, and that’s when I sit down and write. If you can’t find a song to fit your mood, create one. The lyrics will be perfect for the situation, and the meaning is whatever you want it to be. Even if the song doesn’t quite work out on the first try, combining pieces of different songs can produce great results. Although I personally like listening to music a bit more, there are times when songwriting just feels right. Someone wrote every song ever created, and those songs are their thoughts and their feelings. Who’s to say we can’t all do the same?

Playing a musical instrument can be one of the most fulfilling things to do in life. There’s something amazing for me about recreating all of my favorite songs on the piano, and it’s an experience unlike any other. Hearing songs lets you feel them, but playing songs lets you truly know them. You get to experience all of the intricacies that were put into the song, tiny details that otherwise would have passed you by. People who don’t play instruments don’t understand just how relaxing and inspiring it can be, and I pity those people. They won’t ever know what it feels like to bring out your feelings on a keyboard or play your thoughts on a guitar. When you hear a song, it sounds the way the artist wanted. When you play a song, it becomes yours. It can mean whatever you want it to mean, and there’s nothing quite like that.

Music is my life, and I’m not sure how I’d survive without it. It’s one of the only things you can fall back on when you’re lost or down or lonely. It can bring out the best in you or the worst in you: things you want to show or things you’ve hidden away. However you choose to experience music, it has to be a way that you can truly relate to it. One of the best experiences you can have is to really feel a song. That song will take on a meaning that only you can give it.