The 'U' In Soul Music. | Teen Ink

The 'U' In Soul Music.

By QuinGray22 SILVER, DeKalb, Texas
QuinGray22 SILVER, DeKalb, Texas

We all have our favorite music styles. Some like fast rap, others like hard rock. But, whether we admit it or not, we all have a connection to the good old soul music of the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s.

You may ask yourself why this particular style of music makes you want to snap your fingers and tap your toes. Is it because the bass line is moving, or the lead guitar sticks out among the rest? What about the instrumentation; the trumpets, the saxophones, the trombones? Or perhaps, is it the way the music connects?

Take for example the song, ‘Lean On Me’, by Bill Withers. In this song, Withers talks about being a friend to lean on, and having a friend to lean on. He says, ‘when you’re not strong, and i’ll be your friend.” The song can apply to almost anyone. When you’re down, you’ll have a friend to lean on.

That’s what makes the music stick out. That’s what you keep in the small hole of your mind that reserves memories, faces, and feelings; occasionally sticking them all together.

So, next time you’re down and out, listen to a soul track, and let it move within you and stay in both your heart, and your soul.

I'm a major fan of Motown, Soul, and R&B music, so this is for all the guys out there who feel the same way.