Harry Potter is far superior to Twilight and always will be. | Teen Ink

Harry Potter is far superior to Twilight and always will be.

By rbirdsong96 SILVER, Covington, Louisiana
rbirdsong96 SILVER, Covington, Louisiana

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." -J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter or Twilight? That is the ultimate question. Which is better? Which is worst? Well, my own personal preference is Harry Potter and before anyone throws a fit. I have legitimate reasons as to why I think Harry Potter is better than Twilight. I still respect people who don't like Harry Potter. That's fine, I get it, some people didn't grow up with Harry, Ron, and Hermione like I did. It's completely understandable and okay. This brings me to my first point which is that if one was to express an opinion different to the average TwiHard's opinion, they would murder you. Not literally, of course, but they would freak out and tell you why you should love it and never read another book again. While we, on Team Potter, agree that there are books that are better than Harry Potter and encourage you read others, but to give Harry a chance. If you don't wish to do so, then we won't penalize you for it.

The main reason Harry Potter is far superior to Twilight is because J.K. Rowling, also known as the Queen, created her own world much like J.R.R. Tolkien or C.S. Lewis. Is it just a coincidence all the awesome authors are English and use initials. I think not. Jo Rowling created Hogwarts, the Ministry of Magic, House-Elves, Hogsmeade Village, Diagon Alley, Horcruxes, and countless creatures who roam the Forbidden Forest. She also created our favorite characters like Luna Lovegood, or Dobby, or Fred and George. J.K. Rowling is a fighter. In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, we reach the ultimate culmination of the series: the final battle between Harry and Voldemort. She had her beloved characters fight unlike Stephenie Meyer who had her characters discuss and reach an agreement. I know violence isn't the answer... Blah, blah, blah, but can you honestly tell you weren't outraged when you read Breaking Dawn and realized there wouldn't be a crazy vampire brawl between the Volturi and the Cullens. J.K. Rowling understands that sometimes you have to make sacrifices and she wasn't afraid to kill off her and our favorite characters because she knows that life is unpredictable and unfair. Bella Swan gets everything she could ever want Edward Cullen as her husband and a baby. She also is just suddenly best friends with Jacob Black again. In life, you don't get happy endings and true love, be realistic, Steph. Sure, in the end, Harry defeats Voldemort and marries Ginny, but Tonks and Lupin's child is left in the world parentless. George loses his best friend and twin brother, Fred. Stephenie Meyer describes Edward Cullen as "beautiful" and "perfect in every way." While all of J.K. Rowling's characters have flaws and aren't perfect. For example, Harry is naive and sometimes self-absorbed, and Ron Weasley is always jealous, and Hermione Granger is know-it-all who doesn't know when to shut up. Professor Snape is depressed, Draco Malfoy is a bully who is really just a vulnerable and scared fraud, and Voldemort is psychotic and unloved. We all have those people in our lives and sometimes we are those people; it's terrible, but it's the truth. The loss of lives in the Battle of Hogwarts mirrors how children who have parents or siblings fighting in the war are left parentless or without their brother or sister. Jo makes her characters relatable and real.

Hermione Granger is a better female lead character in comparison to Bella Swan because Hermione is smart, independent, brave, and true. Bella may be smart in her own way, Hermione doesn't endanger herself or others because she has boy troubles. She may be a know-it-all and kind of annoying at times, but at least she thinks about others before herself. Bella is stagnant and doubtful; she's not passionate about anything like Hermione. It's nothing against Bella or Kristen Stewart personally, because that's an entirely different story. Seriously, I've seen bread with more emotion than she has. Hermione is just a better role model for younger fans of the series.

I think that HP overrules Twilight every time because the themes of Harry Potter are more meaningful than the themes of Twilight. Harry Potter is about friendship, presence of darkness, life and death, a mother's love, sacrifice, revolt, the power of love, loyalty, and the importance of our choices. The themes of Twilight are love, obsession, sex, attraction, and good vs. evil. I know a lot of people say Harry Potter is a kid's book and yes, that's correct. It is indeed children's story, but those children grew up and still adore Harry Potter. Another thing people tend to believe is Harry Potter lacks the romantic aspect that Twilight possesses, but there are amazing back stories about love. Harry didn't fall in love Ginny because of how beautiful she is like Bella fell for Edward. Harry isn't materialistic and fell for Ginny because of her sense of humor and personality. But by far the greatest love story in HP is the story of Snape and Lily. If that's not the love story of a generation, I don't know what is.

There are 7 books in the Harry Potter series and 4 books in the Twilight series. Harry Potter has sold over 450 million copies as of 2011. All seven Harry Potter books are in the Top 20 Most Sold Books, the highest is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at #5. Harry relates to all people: boys, girls, teens, men, women. Twilight fans are preteen girls, teenage girls, and creepy fan-Moms. My first example the group "Twilight Moms." Also, we have the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. The HP cast consists of Alan Rickman (Severus Snape), Gary Oldman (Sirius Black), Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange), and Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall) therefore the Twilight cast just can't compete and is an embarrassment to filmmakers everywhere.

I can honestly tell you that Harry has made me who I am today. Harry made me love reading. I watched the first few movies at a younger age and then read the books when I got older From about age 9, I have been perpetually lost in Harry's adventures. Since the 4th film, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, I've gone to every midnight showing of HP. The real magic of Harry Potter is the enthusiasm and love of the fans all around the world. Now, millions of kids, teens, and young adults love reading in this crazy, modern digital age because J.K. Rowling made reading cool again. She made reading fun, easy, and adventurous. When I'm married and have my own kids, I am totally reading HP to them even it's against their will. A wise man once said the best stories live on in our hearts and that is definitely how it is for me and how it always will be. "Whether you come back by page or film, Hogwarts will always be here to welcome you home." -J.K. Rowling

This is just something I wrote for my Creative Writing class mid-term and I figured I would share.