Life without Music | Teen Ink

Life without Music

By Alyssa_Katie_1994 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Alyssa_Katie_1994 BRONZE, Auburn, New York

Imagine no music. Hard right? Well some people might not think so. Music is a form of art, and a form of expressing yourself. Now, with how our generation is turning out music is getting pushed lower and lower. Everything is getting based off technology and science. With the world so “high tech” where does that leave music? It leaves it hanging with no meaning. Why bother playing an instrument when you can play it online? Why bother singing when you can just type in what you want with any tune you want? It’s not the same, and might get the name of just plain music without the true meaning behind it. Music means courage, hard work, and many others also. Us musicians work hard to get that right rhythm, or hit that high note that no one could ever get. Do you see the world technology in there? Nope. It should never be allowed in the same sentence as the word music. Technology is a separate world and should stay that way. Yes, technology is used to make some things easier, and even safer but it also has the tendency to make everything little or no work. Yes, we need technology but not to the point where everything has something to do with it. Now you are probably thinking what is the point of this? Well the point is to not let technology take away the true meaning of music. Let music be what it’s supposed to be: a meaning not a computer.
Alyssa Zmarthie
Auburn, New York

Well I was sitting in band and decided to write about how music is leaving the station(:

on Mar. 14 2012 at 6:00 am
MagusEceerb SILVER, Buttville, South Carolina

People don't "type in words and let the computer do the work".

I'm 15 and a percussionist at my high school and also in marching band.  If you really do play an instrument you'll know that 90 percent of playing any instrument is mental stamina and effort.  

When you make electronic music you don't just "type in what you want the computer to do" that doesn't make sense.  You have to completely compose the music, choose instrumentation, and then fine tune everything to get the effect you want.  You should read my article, "Where Words Fail, Music Speaks".  

Electronic music takes the mind, people just assume it's no effort without ever doing any research.