Technological Burden | Teen Ink

Technological Burden

By _emilia_ SILVER, Somers Point, New Jersey
_emilia_ SILVER, Somers Point, New Jersey

"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Samuel typed away eagerly on the keyboard, e-mailing the latest news from college to his mother. He hit send and knew his mother wouldn’t call and bother him if she got this e-mail. Meanwhile, across town a mailman sighs as he sits in his truck. These days, the Postal Service seemed to be going out of business, because of the advances in computers and e-mailing. Technology is wrecking our world and its people. First of all, people seem like they do not need each other like they used to. Second, the human race is way too dependent on technology. Last but not least, without technology, we wouldn’t have to be scared of nuclear weapons. If technology could have waited a while longer, maybe our generation would have been saved from this monster.
First and foremost, people seem like they don’t need other people anymore. For centuries, people have needed each other for every occupation they were doing. When a man wanted to make a wheel, he contacted a blacksmith, a woodcutter, a carpenter, and whoever else he needed to make one measly wheel. Nowadays, 82% of factories only use machines to do simple things, such as making a toothbrush or packaging a box of Cheez-Its. Many men and women are losing their jobs because of technology. Studies show that one out of four companies don’t need their employees anymore because machines are taking over their positions. Nobody deserves to be deprived of their jobs just because a two ton hunk of metal seems to be faster than them.
Subsequently, this generation of people relies way too much on technology. Frank Lloyd Wright once said, “If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger.” If we continue to depend on technology, how will we ever have any common sense? One example is the I-Phone 4G, which over 84% of people today own. This phone lets you talk to people and be on the Internet at the same time. How do you even know if they are listening to the conversation and not on YouTube? Children these days are also doing homework on the phone. Staring at a little tiny screen with various distractions is not one bit educational. Phones, TVs and computers should not be our new brains, no matter how dependent we are on them.
Lastly, if technology was not so advanced, then we wouldn’t have to worry about nuclear weapons. Years ago, during World War II, Japan created the world’s first nuclear bomb. Now, in the push of a button, we can wipe out the entire planet in less than a minute. Why do we have to live in fear because one machine was actually advanced enough to split an atom? More than 45% of the countries in the world have nuclear weapons they could start a war with. Without even realizing it, we could kill everybody on the planet with one missile launch. The Cold War was a sad event where the Soviet Union and the United States almost had a nuclear war. Now both North Korea and Iran are developing nuclear weapons and running nuclear facilities. Nuclear weapons equal destruction and the end of the world as we know it.
Ultimately, technology is beating our world to a pulp. First and foremost, people do not need people anymore. Second, the human race depends way too much on technology. Lastly, technology has gotten us so far that we have to be scared of nuclear weapons. “DO NOT FIRE! DO NOT FIRE! DO NOT FIRE!” Colonel Morgan yelled into the giant speaker. His voice journeyed through the air to the JJ 40. The Japanese ship was threatening the U.S. Marines with a nuclear warhead, and it was about to get ugly. Colonel Xuan of the Japanese Marines put his hand on the giant red button, and he pressed down. Our massive home has been wiped out with one measly warhead. We can not live like this, and we can not let technology take over our lives.