YA Novels becoming Movies | Teen Ink

YA Novels becoming Movies

By SarahBlack SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
SarahBlack SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

“What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?” John Green

Now that the successful Harry Potter franchise has come to the end, it seems as though the movie business is eager for new ideas and what better way than turning the most popular modern day literature into films that produces know loyal fans will be excited to see.

It’s common knowledge that popular books such as the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling and the Twilight saga by Stephenie Meyer has made it big on the big screen, drawing readers into the cinema and movie watches to the book stores. Even most of Disney’s more popular movies such as The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast are based off novels that were more unheard of at the time.

Modern time is no exception, in fact, it’s the opposite; more books and series are having movie adaptations done. Books for example like: I Am Number Four (Pittacus Lore), Lord of the Rings (J. R. R. Tolkien), Beastly (Alex Flinn), The Princess Diaries (Meg Calbot), The Chronicles Of Narnia (C.S. Lewis), Eragon (Christopher Paolini), Jumper (Steven Gould), My Sister’s Keeper (Jodi Picoult), Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Rick Riordan), various books by Nicholas Sparks, Scott Pilgrim (Bryan Lee O’Malley), and many others. Even movies like the X-Men series or Thor are based off Marvel comic books!

And it’s becoming more than just movies; Hollywood is turning books into television shows as well. Popular series such as A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones (George R. R. Martin), the Vampire Diaries & the Secret Circle (L.J. Smith), and True Blood (Charlaine Harris) are some examples.

Of course, there will always be some complaints with books becoming movies, because of the fact that the adaption changes things from the book, and it seems as though they can never meet the expectations of diehard fans.
However, the future seems even brighter in the world of movie adaptations. The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins), the Mortal Instruments (Cassandra Clare), Th1rteen R3asons Why (Jay Asher), House of Night (P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast), and the Perks of Being a Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky) are only a few to look forward to.