Giant on the wrong planet | Teen Ink

Giant on the wrong planet

December 16, 2011
By thatonekidjohnsquared BRONZE, Marengo, Iowa
thatonekidjohnsquared BRONZE, Marengo, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever wondered what it would be like you could interact with life from another world? Well in 1999 the movie the Iron Giant came out staring a boy named Hogarth Hughes with the voice of Eli Marienthal who got the opportunity to become a friend with a metal man. this movie was written by Anthony Pereyra.

The Iron Giant is a story of a nine year old boy named Hogarth Hughes who makes friends with a giant robot that came from outer space. Meanwhile a U.S Government agent named Kent Mansley arrives in town determined to destroy the giant at all costs. It's up to Hogarth to protect him by keeping him at his friend Deans place in the junkyard.
The Iron Giant is a great piece of animation I think. The voices fit the characters very well I think. The animated movie was beautiful and the giant itself is just portrayed perfectly. The Iron Giant to me is not just another little kid movie, so please if you haven’t seen this wonderful movie already then go and see it!

In this movie you really can feel the emotions towards the robot by everyone not just Hogarth or Mansley but from all the towns’ people in the end when the giant flies up there high in the sky and uses his body to blow up the missile. This final scene you can almost imagine what it would be like to be there.

The Iron Giant teaches lessons about friendship and sacrifice all without turning. Although Hogarth is initially frightened by his huge friend he soon comes to realize that, despite the Giant's massive size, he's actually quite childlike and gentle. The film also has a fairly strong anti-gun message. "Guns kill," says Hogarth at one point after he and the Giant encounter a deer that has been slain by hunters. He impresses upon his oversized companion that it's a bad thing to take a life a lesson that is important late in the film when it becomes apparent that the Giant has the capacity to turn into a lethal weapon.


The author's comments:
movie review on the iron Giant