Let Us In!!!!! | Teen Ink

Let Us In!!!!!

By hairyboy BRONZE, Evanston, Wyoming
hairyboy BRONZE, Evanston, Wyoming

A few teenagers walk into a movie theater. They are planning to see the newest R-rated movie. But when they get to the box office, the ticket salesman won’t let them see the R-rated movie. So the teenagers go home, wait three months, and buy the movie when it comes out on DVD. If teenagers are going to watch an R-rated movie anyway, what is the point of banning them from watching the movie in theaters? Teenagers should be allowed to watch R-rated movies in theaters.

Letting teens in R-rated movies at the theaters would boost the economy. According to the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), the average R-rated movie grosses 71.3 million dollars from movie theaters. None of that money comes from teens, which according to a study at Mesa State University, accounts for 83% of the population that watches R rated movies. It takes 5-10 million dollars to produce a movie. The producers spend thousands of dollars on hundreds of small businesses. If teens were allowed to watch R-rated movies in theaters, movies will receive higher a grossing. Movie production companies that receive higher grossing’s tend to make more movies, according to Gary Lucchesi, president of Lakeshore Productions. If production companies make more movies, they spend more money on small businesses. If teens could watch R-rated movies in theaters, it would boost the economy.

Although some people think R-rated movies cause violence, researchers at Oxford University have found that adolescents that watch R-rated movies tend to be MORE mature than their peers who seldom watch R-rated movies. “Most R-rated movies don’t affect adolescents at all. Most movies rated R are rated so because of strong language or mild gore. A study here in our facilities found that teenagers who frequently watch R-rated movies show less signs of aggression and tend to be happier,” says Neil Sorenson, a professor at Oxford.

Teens aren’t supposed to watch R-rated movies, but that doesn’t stop them. “Teenagers sneak into R-rated movies all the time,” says Elisa Gonzales, owner of a movie theater in Seattle, Washington. “Our ushers have caught countless teens trying to sneak into R-rated movies. Teens will also pay strangers to sneak them into the movie by pretending to be the child’s parent. I don’t see a problem in letting teens see R-rated movies.” Teens will also just wait and buy the movie when it comes out on DVD. If teenagers are able to watch the movie on DVD, what is the point of banning them from the movie theaters?

It would be beneficial to let teens into R-rated movies at movie theaters. It would boost the economy, reduce violence in teens, and keep teens out of trouble. So lets try to change the law and let teens watch R-rated movies!!!

on Mar. 25 2015 at 5:36 pm
HorseKrazy SILVER, Melrose, Montana

Whatever you are, be a good one.
-Abraham Lincoln

I agree that it doesn't make much sense, and if they're going to do it anyway, why ban it? However, I don't understand why ANYONE would want to watch an R-rated movie, let alone PG-13.

teen's voice said...
on Mar. 10 2015 at 12:40 pm
We should be allowed this is a free country