How Music Affects People Emotionally | Teen Ink

How Music Affects People Emotionally

By daige BRONZE, East Hampton, New York
daige BRONZE, East Hampton, New York

Music is powerful it can pretty much move people or change them. In my research and finding facts and opinions I agree on most of these things… Music affects people differently depending on the mood they are in and what type of music it is. Music was originally, and still is; the way for people to get their emotions out and sometimes those emotions are felt by other people. Music has an amazing effect on people. It can affect moods and inspire. A piece of classical music can soothe and even lower blood pressure. A piece of pop music may even energize some. Have you ever listened to a song that drove you to tears? Have you lingered listening to a song that gave you the urge to get up and dance? Have you ever felt like going out and doing something about abuse or ignorance after listening to a song? Many times these sensations catch us off guard. We don’t usually think of music as the reason we feel sad, happy, or angry.
The next time you listen to a song, listen to what your body is telling you to do. Your emotional response will give away how the artist is using music to affect the emotions for a desired result. Music and lyrics are the tools that musicians have. Expressing themselves thorough their art is part of who they are. Lyrics are written from heartbreaks, conversations and thoughts because the musicians are people; the art they create can generate a response with both your emotions and your brain. It’s difficult to do studies into this reaction because there is no real way to measure why someone is reacting to the music. How the music affects the emotions depends to some extent on what memory is recalled or the environment where the person hears the song. There is no question, however, that you aren’t losing it when you break into tears or experience strong feelings from a song. Your body is simply responding to the melody you are hearing.
Personally, I love music and it’s helped me in so many ways. Music to me is like my really good friend who cheers me up when I’m down and pretty tells me at times what I should do about something. Also when it’s like a really fun song I will just sing along and enjoy myself. Believe it or not music can even bring people together. I’m a musician myself I used to play piano/keyboard, I can play drums, and at this time I’m playing the guitar. Now that’s just out of school in school I have recently played the trumpet and saxophone and I guess I could sing. Anyways the point is music is really powerful so even if you’re not a person who likes music make sure you listen to plenty of songs before giving up on it because you never know you could find a song to relate too. But I think everyone has their own song….

omg daige ur artikel wuz soooo gud. it litterralie chanjed my lif. ya it wuz tht gud. it inspird me 2 bcum a garbaje man. im gonna liv my dreem. thnx daige. FYI: The above statement was written in SARCASM. This article is the worst piece of s*** I have read in my many years of professional editting. You used very poor grammar and you misspelled many of your words. Did you do ANY research, Daige? Hmmmm...I don't think so. And next time, don't be so opinionated, you bum.

Willimek said...
on Mar. 15 2013 at 3:55 am
To answer the question, why music can make emotions, you should know, that music is not able to transmit emotions directly. Music can convey operations of will, but the music listener perceives the operations of will dyed by emotions. Similar, when you watch a dramatic film in cinema, the film cannot transmit emotions directly, but operations of will. The spectator perceives the operation of will dyed by emotions - identifying with the protagonist. If you want more information about the emotional effect of music, you should know the Strebetendenz-Theory. It says listening music we identify with a will against the changing of dissonant overtone-intervals. On this way you can derive the emotional colors of musical chords and find the first method to explain, why music touches us emotionallyIt is described in the essay "Vibrating Molecules and the Secret of their Feelings". Bernd Willimek

user2 said...
user2, Linden, Michigan

Like A BOSS!!!!

yea i honstly say rap music is about things that hurt them and things they love in their songs but like i said earlier i get hard on's alot 

ChenChen SILVER, Dover, New Jersey

"Either way, change will come. It could be bloody, or it could be beautiful. It depends on us."

I absolutely agree with this article. The other day I heard a little bit of "Jump Around" by House of Pain and I literally wanted to get up and start jumping around. There are a lot of songs that I hear that give me a feeling I can't quite explain except to say that it's a good feeling.