Why 80's Rock is Better than Most of Today's Music | Teen Ink

Why 80's Rock is Better than Most of Today's Music

March 21, 2011
By BigTuna BRONZE, Belle Plaine, Minnesota
BigTuna BRONZE, Belle Plaine, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The 1980s were the best time for music, especially rock. There were so many different styles of rock, like metal and glam rock, and so many different bands in each style.There are still many great bands from back then that are still entertaining crowds today.

Unlike most of the music around today, people could actually understand the lyrics to songs in the 80s. A lot of the song lyrics today are rhymed so fast that they’re almost impossible to understand. Even though some songs today tell a story through the lyrics, most, if not all, 80’s songs told a story. An example is “Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns N’ Roses, which tells a story of the mean and dangerous life of living in the streets or the bad side of a large city like Los Angeles.

Singers in the 80s had to rely heavily on their ability to sing, unlike some singers today.Many singers today, especially in rap, rely on special electronics to help them “sing”, or give them an electronic voice. In the 80s, singers usually wanted to give their audiences the best performance that they could with the voice that they had, whether it was the growling, aggressive voice of Axl Rose, or the soulful vocals of Steve Perry.

Some of the best guitarists the world have come from the 80s. There are some good guitarists today like Keith Urban, but no one today has gained the recognition as a true guitar legend like Slash or Kirk Hammett, whose guitar solos were powerful enough to leave people wanting to learn guitar just so they can play the solos of their idols.

Drummers were also at their peak during the 80s. Drummers today don’t need to worry much about messing up a beat because they can use a loop effect that repeats the same beat over and over again. Drummers in the 80s could put on amazing solos that sounded great by them self without any accompaniment. Probably the best drummer ever came from the 80s. He was Def Leppard’s Rick Allen, who had lost an arm, but still managed to lay down unique beats and pull off great solos.

No music is ever going to compare to the rock music of the 1980s. Some bands that I would recommend listening to are Guns N’ Roses, Journey, Metallica, and Def Leppard.