Wasillac, Catholics and Liberal Politics | Teen Ink

Wasillac, Catholics and Liberal Politics

By broadway_broad SILVER, Chicago, Illinois
broadway_broad SILVER, Chicago, Illinois

Being fashion forward and keeping up with the latest trends, Broadway’s greatest stars, hits and flops and the current pop culture events including everything from plastics to Kardashians are the normal things I bring up in my column. For this issue I thought that I might as well dabble in politics a bit. If you have ever met me (which I believe most of you have!), you get the idea, pretty quickly, that I am a staunch liberal democrat that is so extremely far to the left that I have fallen off the charts and am officially a radical (well, not really, I just like new ideas). I am a supporter of everything from the Repeal of Prop 8 to the Pro-Choice Campaign to universal healthcare – two of these which I should not believe in as a Catholic.
To begin making my point, I would like to talk about the idiotic representations that women have in government. Yes, as a woman, I supported Hillary Rodham Clinton for President (and later Barrack Obama) and Nancy Pelosi for Speaker of the House, but when it comes to Sarah Palin, I just cannot wrap my mind around the idea of Ms. America leading our country. Does it bother me that Sarah Palin is a media w****? Not the least. I know if I was in her position I would do the same exact things – media wise. Getting her own reality show, a few rebellious scandals popping up, she’s well on her way to becoming the next Kathy Griffin, except extremely conservative and not funny. I feel as though the stupid things that Sarah Palin’s says really form a nation’s opinion on women in government. Though not a fan of her, Margaret Thatcher was a woman who was large and in charge. She was a woman with a strong head on her shoulders and an idea of where she wanted to bring her country. I guess I respect Sarah’s plea to become the next woman President, but does she need to act like a complete idiot all the time? I’m not sure who she thinks she’s trying to fool with her ditzy act, but I really don’t think the Tea Partiers enjoy that act anymore. I believe we need a strong woman president. How about someone with a worldly sense of culture and themselves? Maybe someone like Madonna! With Madonna for President, we would be in shape with her wonderful gyms springing up all over America. We would be well-rounded in music and would have a wonderful relationship with both Britain (her sometimes native land) and Africa (where her adopted child comes from). We would all “move to the music.” There’s been the saying “vote democratic and vote often,” but I say if we have a president like Madonna, or even, Oprah, life could just be a little better.

(Oops, sorry, I meant to say that I also agree with you on Prop 8.)

As Washington said, "Government is not eloquence; it is not reason; it is force and like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." Electing Madonna or Oprah to run America would be playing with fire...no, I'm not se.xist, because frankly the act of merely having a system that allows the president to do things like launch an attack on Lib.ya of his own accord is in itself playing with fire!

Anyhow, this was a very well-written article all the same. I hardly agree at all with the views expressed (except for perhaps the advocacy of the pro-choice campaign), but bravo for formulating yours clearly and well.