Music of the Past vs Today's Music

It’s obvious that when turning on popular radio stations today, you’ll most likely hear one thing and one thing only- mainstream music. In a way, I can understand how it’s likeable. Most of it has a great beat, catchy lyrics, and the type of music is what we grew up with in our generation. Not all house music is terrible music, don’t get me wrong. But some artists of today have forgotten the main components that make a truly talented artist. Step outside the mainstream box for a second, and take a look at how much has really changed in music over the years. Sometimes, not for the better.

Go back in time a few decades, to the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Lots of the bands from these eras have become internationally famous, and their music has become classic. Artists like The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Nirvana, and so many other successful bands. All of these bands became famous, because they had something that’s hard to find today- real talent. Many of the bands of the past wrote music that had real depth to it. Their lyrics were meaningful, they wrote their own music, they played multiple instruments, they didn’t use auto tune or synthesizers, and many other factors. Using something like auto tune was considered an insult back in the day. Today it’s almost on impulse, and everyone is using it so it’s not much of an indignity anymore. It’s more of the new regular, which makes it obvious that some mainstream artists of today lack the real talent of the music of the past.

Many of the lyrics have no real depth to them anymore either. Lots of mainstream artists don’t even write their own. The music is repetitive, and the lyrics sometimes involve swearing and the same typical situations, like “going to a club tonight”, “let’s get this party started”, or the typical thought that every song has to be about love, falling in love, being in love, or something having to do with love. It would be great for some artists to try and expand their music into more than just one topic of “love”, and try writing a song about a different issue or situation in life. This music is great for hearing at a party, or something upbeat to hear. But when you actually want to listen to the music, I’m not sure this is exactly what everyone is looking for.

To finish this, I’ll start by saying that not all music of today is bad. There are lots of underground bands of today – and even some mainstream- that still have the actual depth and talent in their music, to become even greater someday. It disappoints me though, when underground bands with real musical talent are getting less attention than a popular artist that constantly uses a synthesizer or has someone write their songs for them. It is an opinionated topic, but I still think it’s something for everyone to debate, whatever genre or era you’re a fan of.

MartinC said...
May 24 at 10:48 am:
U know. I really really like the old songs. Im just 14 years old. Like. It must be i like the musics now. But, NO! Its kindda sh*t and not good anymore. Like, Songs of the past is more good and u can get some little INFORMATION and even ur not in the mood it makes you feel happy and the beat is pushing you to dance and to have fun. Like songs now is like. SFADSFD. Even elderly here in our country speaks about that. I asked them that. "Granpa, Do u like songs now?" My grandpa responde &... (more »)

jadegirl said...
I totally agree. Today's music has NO depth and is totally repetitive. It seems like labels are giving ANYONE a deal and calling it music.

JRock This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I completely agree. I really enjoy music from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and even the 90s. I'm really into foreign music right now, but I still can't get enough of Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers, ABBA, the Bee Gees, Michael Jackson, R.E.M., Buddy Holly, and lots of other great artists like them. My favorite radio station plays only music from the 60s-80s and it's the only station I listen to. A lot of music these days really lack quality and substance and it all feels so unoriginal.

SallySunshine said...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 11:50 am:
Very well written article Jopageri. I particularly LOVE the Beatles and I'm obsessed with Paul McCartney (Macca) and John Lennon<3 I look forward to reading more of your work!