Music of the Past vs Today's Music

It’s obvious that when turning on popular radio stations today, you’ll most likely hear one thing and one thing only- mainstream music. In a way, I can understand how it’s likeable. Most of it has a great beat, catchy lyrics, and the type of music is what we grew up with in our generation. Not all house music is terrible music, don’t get me wrong. But some artists of today have forgotten the main components that make a truly talented artist. Step outside the mainstream box for a second, and take a look at how much has really changed in music over the years. Sometimes, not for the better.

Go back in time a few decades, to the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Lots of the bands from these eras have become internationally famous, and their music has become classic. Artists like The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Nirvana, and so many other successful bands. All of these bands became famous, because they had something that’s hard to find today- real talent. Many of the bands of the past wrote music that had real depth to it. Their lyrics were meaningful, they wrote their own music, they played multiple instruments, they didn’t use auto tune or synthesizers, and many other factors. Using something like auto tune was considered an insult back in the day. Today it’s almost on impulse, and everyone is using it so it’s not much of an indignity anymore. It’s more of the new regular, which makes it obvious that some mainstream artists of today lack the real talent of the music of the past.

Many of the lyrics have no real depth to them anymore either. Lots of mainstream artists don’t even write their own. The music is repetitive, and the lyrics sometimes involve swearing and the same typical situations, like “going to a club tonight”, “let’s get this party started”, or the typical thought that every song has to be about love, falling in love, being in love, or something having to do with love. It would be great for some artists to try and expand their music into more than just one topic of “love”, and try writing a song about a different issue or situation in life. This music is great for hearing at a party, or something upbeat to hear. But when you actually want to listen to the music, I’m not sure this is exactly what everyone is looking for.

To finish this, I’ll start by saying that not all music of today is bad. There are lots of underground bands of today – and even some mainstream- that still have the actual depth and talent in their music, to become even greater someday. It disappoints me though, when underground bands with real musical talent are getting less attention than a popular artist that constantly uses a synthesizer or has someone write their songs for them. It is an opinionated topic, but I still think it’s something for everyone to debate, whatever genre or era you’re a fan of.

ScarletCityThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 6 at 2:51 pm
Another difference: all the good bands wrote their stuff. All the mainstream bands now have writes who write what sells good.

skyvex1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2 at 11:29 pm
This is more of a rant, but straight out point. Do you truly understand WHY music is bad though. Jesus Christ.

Feb. 2 at 11:17 pm
Most music is commercialized today, all pop and not serious music like what you hear from those classic rock bands. Very, very, very few people can make that serious music now a days, either mainstream or underground. It's lost its sound over the years.

Feb. 2 at 11:15 pm
Yes they did use synthesizers.

Feb. 2 at 11:14 pm
No there are classic rock stations you know

SilentStagePunk said...
Feb. 2 at 2:22 pm
Nirvana was from the 90's, really. Just letting you know. But I entirely agree with what you are saying. I would love it if people of all ages were able to go to cheaper rock shows or just shows in general, and see bands that are relate able and not-so-mainstream. It's sort of dream-crushing that a synthesized DJ can receive so much more attention than a true artist, someone such as the "classic" bands you've mentioned.

JoselovesMJ said...
Jan. 12 at 6:57 pm
Most of today's music is so horrible. While compare to 60's, 70's and 80's. The Beatles, Elvis, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Etc all had ONE thing in common, The "T" word (Talent). Elvis and The Beatles were the best of their eras. MJ had talent going back to the Jackson 5(the ORIGINAL boy band) and his "Thriller" album proved to everyone he was one of the best. Meanwhile, going back to today's music, they only care about making $$$, good looks and getting 6-9 year ol... (more »)

skyvex1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 2 at 11:22 pm
No, the music industry forces people to make bad music in a way. It is very very hard to make money now since these streaming services suck up all the money that artists make, taking 60% or over of the profit. Spotify, YouTube, Pandora, you name it. No one really buys music anymore. When was the last time you bought a physical copy of a song. iTunes helps a bit, but why buy the song when you can listen to it for free right? So artists need to pump out songs as quickly as possible, thus having no... (more »)

abala1 said...
Jan. 5 at 11:13 am
yes this article is pointing a real problem with the music today...but the analysis is incomplete if it does not mention the effect of MTV in the development that we see today, a channel that was created as media outlet for music, have little to do with music today! and its effect on the quality of popular music is just terrible!

I think that the music now is tasteless. But think about it... us kids and teenagers weren't around for the '60s and '70s. All the kids now know know the horrible, tasteless music of the twenty- first century. These lyrics are horrible and riddled with profanity. But, the music now is so fast and loud, you cannot even hear the words being spoken.

Feb. 2 at 11:25 pm
Not all songs are 100 BPM. I think you're referencing to rap and metal. And I'm a Millennial kid, but I listen to many classic rock bands and old R&B and folk, like Journey, The Beatles, Def Leppard, Dave Mason, Paul Davis, Van Halen, Metallica, Steve Perry, Billy Joel, Elton John, etc. I'm a fan of the old music but I don't mind alternative/indie music from now.

ScarletCityThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 6 at 2:48 pm
Point being: Then you and I, @skyvex1, do not listen to the music that most kids do. We listen to the good stuff. Alt. stuff now is good, but not nearly as good as it was 'back in the day'. Besides, am I the only one who notices how depressing and redundant the lyrics of today's music is?

today at 1:15 pm
I went insane listening to chains and whip nae nae last year when my pickup teacher guy turned on the same old mainstream radio station everyday. God I hated those songs.

nothingidc236 said...
I have a theory to explain the noticeable decline in music quality. Thanks to the popularization of the internet, music can easily be played for free. This is seriously hurting the music industry and they are getting more desperate to make money. The industry simply can't afford to make innovative music and have to pander to the masses to even make a profit.

Feb. 2 at 11:33 pm
THANK YOU. This is why it is so hard to make money in the music industry now. Barely anyone can make a living from it

danskaBOSS said...
i look at some old lyrics; i go to the mountain,where i find a single dove,just like,a year ago, i found my love. then i look at modern lyrics from nicki minaj; you a stupid ho,stupid ho,you a stupid stupid ho,stupid ho. sad aint it?

Rainbow_Princess replied...
Sept. 10, 2015 at 9:54 am
yes very sad

Stefan said...
I will be using this as a source for comparing today's music and the music of the past. Will be presenting on it. My classmates are gonna bash me so much.

Flower Child said...
Nov. 1, 2014 at 8:45 am
The 60's and 70's to me, were the golden age, the Renaissance of music in the last hundred years or so. It was a time when music really flowered into art, style and creativity which is less deonstrated today. Back in those times, musicians had real talent, played real instruments, wrote their own songs and performed live without lip sync. They did not rely on looks but rather on talent. Their music re-defined their generation. The songs in those times had authentic instruments and much m... (more »)

LordEdwardius replied...
Not that you're wrong but what about music before the 60's? People before actually had to extremely proficient with their instrument or voice before they could get into any real band, only well trained and talented musicians could make it, in the 60's and 70's you didn't necessarily have to go to an accredited institution or spend years perfecting the craft of musicianship vigorously (at least to the scale previously. Don't get me wrong, I love music from that era, and there were certainly a lar... (more »)