Television and society | Teen Ink

Television and society

January 17, 2011
By magathia18 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
magathia18 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My parents worked during the day, so as a child my aunt watched me. I went over to her house in the morning. Before I went over there, I tried to advocate to my parents that I would be fine home alone. This never worked. So in the morning, I would linger out of my bed, loathing going in the car. In the mornings, I was a vexatious child that screamed because it was too early. I didn’t want to wake up. I didn’t want to go.

I realize that it has benefitted. My aunt taught me things that my parents couldn’t while they were at work. They taught me about my cousin. He had ADD, and they explained to me that it’s because of the way he was born. His disease wasn’t a malady, but it still affected him. My aunt explained that I shouldn’t scrutinize him, because if I did I would notice everything that he did differently. This experience taught me to not look at other differently, because they can’t help it.

She also taught me to help others. Playing at the play ground as a kid, there was this little boy who would come up to me. I just would be playing with my sister, and he would try to butt his way in. One day he asked me if I would throw the crab apples at squirrels. I knew that this was nefarious action; because my aunt taught me to never do something to someone that I didn’t want done to myself. And I knew I wouldn’t want crab apples thrown at me. I told him that it wasn’t a good idea, and he shouldn’t do it either. He ignored me and tried to find other kids who would do it with him.

My aunt was very influential in my life, but that doesn’t mean my parents were ineffectual. When my parents didn’t have to work, they taught me to try my hardest. They still solicit this because they know I will achieve my goals. When I set my mind to do something, they back me up 100 percent because they know I am capable of accomplishing it. My parents came to an amicable decision to let me choose my career because they know I will choose what is right for me. They still have an astute analysis over my grades, because they don’t want me to slack off, but they helped me become a driven person.