TV | Teen Ink

TV

January 16, 2011
By Natalie Feder SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Natalie Feder SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Television, a useless waste of time, does nothing to benefit the minds of children. Sitting in front of a black box that displays pictures for hours is fruitless. Kids have become nothing but phlegmatic zombies. Often times the shows are poignant and depressing. What happened to the happy endings? Programs do nothing but inundate children with who they should be, what they should look like, who they should hang out with, and what things they should have. How can they identify who they are without television telling them?


Life is too short to spend it in front of the TV. There are many more opportunities than the latest episode of “Gossip Girl.” Embrace them. There is a wonderful world that has been created for us so we should go out and enjoy everything it has to offer. The sad truth is that parents can no longer coerce their children into another activity. It’s easier for them if the kids just watch television. Comprehensive studies show that 54% of children prefer watching TV over spending time with their fathers. The paternal bond is then lost.

Children are garbled. Society tells them to watch TV, but statistics tell them to do something else. What should they do? Something that has been lost in the age of television is pure imagination. How many kids these days go outside and pretend their pirates or super heroes? What happened to sanguine imaginations of children that they can be anything they want to be? Their imaginations don’t have room to run when they are zealously glued to the television. Psychologists corroborate that if children turned off the TV and put their energy elsewhere that they would become someone that television cannot create.