What are they really saying?

Picture this, your in the car cruising down the highway with your friends when a really popular song comes on the radio. You know every word and every note. You crank it up. Your in the middle of the song when the most sexual line is sung. Your best friend makes a funny face. She feels uncomfortable. Do you?
Racy comments are not uncommon at all in the music that we hear everyday. We're used to it and it's nothing new. Even though the provocative images and nasty comments about breast size and booties shakin' are part of our regular everyday lives, some of us still feel uneasy when we see or hear those things. I don't blame anyone for cringing at it, even I feel icky when I hear them.
The media is trying to transform us (women) into an unattainable image by pressuring us to get plastic surgery and where less and less clothing. We're surrounded by photo shopped pictures of the male's view of beauty.
TV commercials are pressuring guys to be muscular and ripped. They're pushing them to become macho like The Situation from Jersey Shore. Boys are expected to be unemotional, tough and unnaturally developed.
Songs need to be censored more and commercials definitely need to have stricter rules. It doesn't look like that is going to happen too quickly so for the time being, change the channel and look away. Your beautiful or handsome just the way you are and you don't need to change anything for anyone else.

swim4ever said...
I don't have a promblem with some of the music because hafl the time i don't know what they are saying.  Also being a women and constantly listening to music exactly how you described it It doesn't make me want to dress any different i make my own desicions no one else. Do i ever wish i looked like the girls in music videos?? no i never do i dont want to be skinny photocopy of everyone else.  what i want to look like is a strong girl you dont want to mess with.  And people wi... (more »)

TwoFace17 said...
Songs nowadays are mostly just plain wrong.

malaika said...
i totally agree. people never really pay attention to what a song is saying. i feel so grossed out when i hear that kind of music. i also hate how the girls in those music videos are always prancing around almost naked. it's sad to think that this is the definition of beauty.