"The Day the Music Died"

Hip-Hop, Rap, R&B, and Pop, all types of music, are amazing beats and catchy tunes, but what lies underneath all of the repeating rhythms and mainstream glamour?

Lyrics are the extensial component of songs. They tell a story; they allow the listener to feel and to think what the song recites. This is the way it used to be! Now, lyrics are legends, ghosts of what was once real music.

Have you listened to the words of your favorite song, to the words of the most played song on your favorite radio station? If you have, you will find that most of these songs are offensive and not appropriate.

Many of today’s songs are filled with meaningless lyrics. They are bursting with demeaning slurs and profanity. No longer is music used to express, but to insult and humiliate others. What is more shocking is that most of today’s youth enjoy these songs. It seems like the more insults and vulgar words that a song has, the more it sells.

If you look back in history, you will find that music wasn’t always this way. Music was an escape; it was used to help people forget their worries. Take the Beattle’s for example; their songs helped people escape the terrors of the Vietnam War. When you heard their songs, you escaped the world’s troubles, momentarily.

Now, flash forward to today! What are we providing for the future other than foul language and meaningless rhythms? Profanity is what this time in history will mean, lyrically, of course.

All I ask for is songs with real lyrics, lyrics that touch the soul and that make your senses vibrate, and songs that aren’t written to demean anyone, but to inform the world. I also yearn for artists, whose only concern is not their ability to sell their music, but artists who care about their music, the real music that lies behind the hypnotic beats.

For every song that uses demeaning language let there be people, who turn off the radio. For every record sold, which echoes meaningless music, let there be people who won’t be engulfed, controlled, or fooled by the song’s popularity. For every song that actually tells a story with beautiful words that speak to the soul, let there be people who listen. In other words, let there be meaning behind the lyrics and let us listen to the songs!

Falcore said...
May 6, 2010 at 6:40 pm:
I absolutely agree with everything you said, I can't seem to convince anybody i know that the music you described is utter garbage, I look forward to the day musicians start writing music again.

evelynibarra replied...
May 24, 2010 at 8:12 pm :

i understand completely i mean all my friends love those mainsteam songs but not half of them know what the song means. Because this songs dont mean anything.

Thank you for your understanding