Underground Music | Teen Ink

Underground Music

By Daniel Barnett BRONZE, Prosser, Washington
Daniel Barnett BRONZE, Prosser, Washington

The metal genre of music was first birthed in the late 60’s and early 70’s, largely in the United Kingdom and the United States. Bands such as Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath came into the mainstream music industry. In the mid-70’s, more bands emerged, such as Motorhead and Iron Maiden. Following the late 70’s and early 80’s, glam metal (or rock) was born, including bands such as Motley Crue and Skid Row. Other underground metal bands such as Slayer and Anthrax were also born in the 80’s. Slayer was possibly the unofficial creator of Death Metal. Following the early years of metal, different metal types and groups were formed, groups such as Korn and System of a Down, starting the Nu metal era.

As time progressed, metal was extended to new heights. Bands such as The Black Dahlia Murder, At the Gates, Behemoth and Cannibal Corpse became the renowned “Death metal.” But due to the intensity of the music (so critics say), most of these bands failed to make the mainstream cut. Much of the modern death metal’s lyrics are very violent, gruesome, and intense. Because of this, these bands were rejected and deemed “Underground music.”

Having said this, and having given the history of metal, I come to my point. While thrash, Nu, and other types of metal are accepted, why not death metal? Although many will give the common excuse that it is “too violent,” look at the movies that are being shown in theaters. These movies are much more gruesome and prominent than simple song lyrics, so why are they not rejected as well? Violent books, movies and TV shows make big, but why not music?

Although metal’s lyrics are often conveyed through screaming or growling, most people do not take the time to find out what they are actually saying. Many of these songs contain wondrous works of lyrical art. It may be violent, but it can put meaning into things that most people don’t generally think about. These lyrics should be examined and taken advantage of, rather than tossed aside as garbage.

The point I am trying to make is that these bands should get more recognition. Although they are different than others, society should not write them off as “too violent,” as they have much to offer in their lyrics and music.

I am a metal lover, I listen to various metal groups. I write lyrics, I am a death metal vocalist.