Why Music Should be Censored | Teen Ink

Why Music Should be Censored

March 25, 2010
By 4801478736 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
4801478736 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever pondered the thought of why our society is cursing so much? Did you predict what the source of this problem is? There is a great chance that the origin of our society cursing is uncensored music .Music should be censored because the profanity in it models children to use fowl language and goes against people’s moral values and religion.

Initially uncensored music that many listen to is getting to the younger generation .We all know that children are our future .What happens a majority of the time when a juvenile hears a new word ,they use the new word right? Eventually most children will be using profanity .The real question is, how will our society be in ten years from now.
Additionally music should be censored because hearing cursing in the public is disturbing .To my understanding music helps calm the nerves .When you are relaxing do you really want to hear explicit language. The outcome will be public life being less pleasant .Some people enjoy censored music just because it makes their everyday life a little more placid.
Ultimately, the largest con of having uncensored music is that it goes against beliefs .Music that is not censored may affect the way people interpret their beliefs ,and potentially will become a bad habit throughout that religion. Some people probably enjoy songs that swear, but maybe it's because they don't know realize how immoral using fowl language is. Imprecate music changes the way these people live life.

If someone were to ask me my opinion whether music should be censored or not ,I will respond by saying music that is not filtered is rapidly changing beliefs ,corrupting children ,and disturbing the peace .I don't see the purpose of having profanity in music anyway.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 95 comments.


blondegirl said...
on Nov. 8 2010 at 8:23 am
i agree its wat we want no one elses !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeastinBuck said...
on Oct. 7 2010 at 12:23 pm
Music is wonderful the way it is!!

lalak said...
on Sep. 27 2010 at 9:28 pm
just SHUT UPP!!

MiniMustaine said...
on Aug. 24 2010 at 8:00 pm
MiniMustaine, Flora, Indiana
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Peace Sell.........But Who's Buyin? - Dave Mustaine
Never Say Die.......

PMRC. a big waste of time and the cause of all this mess. Music should not be censored just as a book shouldnt be. its the same thing except one is actually spoken aloud

LilDog14 said...
on Aug. 2 2010 at 8:28 am
I don't agree music should be censored, because so people like cussing in their music it relieves anger to some people.

on Jul. 11 2010 at 11:48 am
RedInk92 BRONZE, Penn Yan, New York
2 articles 3 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
The sun also shines on the wicked

i agree that parents are responsible. in walmart you buy mucic and thats censored. you watch movies on certain telivison stations and thats censored. how much more things do we need to be censored???

EmmaNemma GOLD said...
on Jul. 3 2010 at 7:52 pm
EmmaNemma GOLD, The Shire, Vermont
10 articles 0 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you think you are a hypochondriac by definition aren't you?

I love music and I disagree with the idea of censored music. I know that kids shouldn't listen to that type of music but it doesn't mean that it shouldn't exist. Parents should just keep the kid away from it. People would still swear even if music was censored so there isn't a point in using that argument. Also, radio stations aren't allowe to play music with swearing so in a way it is censored already.

Templar314 said...
on Apr. 27 2010 at 7:28 pm
Templar314, Hell, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments

I do not understand what is "foul" or "immoral" about using profanities. In fact, they are used so often nowadays that they have lost most of their meaning.

Besides, musicians are not responsible for teaching children propriety; parents are. I know that is where I learned most of the expletives I know.

Furthermore, if music is censored because people do not like the words it contains, what else could it be censored for? "Changing beliefs" is not inherently bad; if we take away the potential for that, we are giving the government an opportunity to suppress unpopular viewpoints and take away our freedoms.


on Apr. 27 2010 at 3:57 pm
I disagree with you on this topic. As someone who adores writing, words to me are like paints for an artist. They should be embraced. You wouldn't say that an artist shouldn't use a certain color of paint because it offends someone. This is why I don't believe music should be censored.

on Apr. 19 2010 at 10:47 pm
songofheaven BRONZE, East Amherst, New York
2 articles 2 photos 51 comments

Favorite Quote:
I have found power in the mysteries of thought. -Euripides

I don't exactly agree that music should be censored. I just wish people would cut down on it a lot. I don't listen to heavy swearing rap all that much, but hey, Bob Dylan, one of the greatest musicians on the planet, swears. Yes, I agree that swearing is vile, and I hate to hear it. But if someone includes it in their song, it's your option to listen to it or not. I listen to classic rock, so I don't get swearing a whole lot. And that's my option!

on Apr. 16 2010 at 1:01 pm
xxificouldfallxx PLATINUM, Southampton, Pennsylvania
33 articles 4 photos 30 comments
we live in a free country though, if you dont like it... then leave? or dont listen to such music? we censor a lot already and there is a reason why we have FREE SPEECH.  if someone wants to curse or anything so be it... it's not your business.

on Apr. 12 2010 at 6:53 pm
kylec000 BRONZE, Cleveland, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Under the bludgeonings of chance / My head is bloody but unbowed...
I am the master of my fate / I am the captain of my soul

William Ernest Henly, Invictus

I agree. Music with swearing can ruin the song.

 

Swearing is just utterly bad. Swearing, to me, is a bad excuse for having a limited vocabulary to not be able to express yourself.

I can understand that a word like that might be powerful and pump up the song, but it's not needed.


justme said...
on Apr. 12 2010 at 10:22 am
The last time I checked we lived in a free country.  Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the first amendment freedom of speech?  If you do not like music with swearing, there is a simple solution don' listen to it.  There is plenty of people out ther who like this kind of music, there's more to a song then just the swearing.  As far as kids swearing because of music, where are the parents?  It is their responsibility to know what their kids are listening to.  Music cd's now have a sticker on them at the bottom corner that says Parental Advisory.  Music isn't the only place kids can hear swearing, there's movies and tv and I'm sure even their parents *gasp* yes I said parents swear too.  Should we start censoring every media there is?  If that is what you want, why don't you go find your own little island and dictate it the way you want the people to live.

on Apr. 10 2010 at 9:51 pm
kylec000 BRONZE, Cleveland, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Under the bludgeonings of chance / My head is bloody but unbowed...
I am the master of my fate / I am the captain of my soul

William Ernest Henly, Invictus

I agree with you. Some words really should be censored out, no matter what the target age audience is or if the producer is an adult. Adults should not even be using such language, as they are example for kids. I hate listening to a song, then hearing a racial slur, or on obscenity. It ruins some of the song.

Swearing and using such language, to me, is just a poor excuse for not having the vocabulary to express your thoughts in a way without using vulgarity.

The extent I would want to hear is D***. Swearing really just taints and defiles all we do.