Piracy of Music | Teen Ink

Piracy of Music

By SAM LOEHR BRONZE, OVERLAND PARK, Kansas
SAM LOEHR BRONZE, OVERLAND PARK, Kansas

Stealing music is one of the worst things you can do. Pirating is a bad thing to do because it contradicts what you are trying to do if you like an artist enough to listen to them. A fan should support them by buying their music instead of putting them out of business. When you steal a song from Lime Wire or some other torrent you are not hurting the government you are hurting the artist directly.

I know it is really hard to buy songs because it is expensive but how much more do you appreciate things much more when you buy them yourself. You may love a song but if you buy it you will actually care about it and listen to it more. When you get it for free you will listen to it for awhile then you will toss it aside with no regrets because you didn’t lose anything. Music is an art it should not be forgotten but adored. Back in the good old days music was really appreciated. Now we forget about artists everyday and just move to the next new artist. We all move from new hit to new hit and can’t be entertained by a few good artists. Now we listen to one song by a million different artists. If you steal music it is the same as stealing someone’s writing for your own use. It’s wrong. Music should be adored and loved not abused and thrown around like raffle tickets. And the only difference from older music was they actually earned money from fans listening to their music.

By now it has become so common that nobody feels bad about stealing from some artist they will never meet, but that’s the worst that everyone is starting to feel that way. Think of all the rising artists to come. How will they ever make it because no one will support them in the beginning? The music industry is rough. Only few of the millions make it and it makes it that much harder for new artists to even try for a shot. Think about if your favorite artist never made it out of the small clubs they played for hours. You would never know their melodies that you love so.

Music keeps everyone’s life rolling. Think of a world with no new music. It would be so bland and old. Change is good and we need it to stay sane. It would be like a world with no new books. We would be stuck reading the same books over and over again. Artists need to make money somehow so they can live to keep making the music we all love. Music will always be around but the chance for so many to get the rewards they deserve for working so hard my not be.

billy123 said...
on Mar. 3 2010 at 11:43 am
You said it all man

on Mar. 2 2010 at 8:45 pm
enchanted4yu PLATINUM, Calabasas, California

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

I think you are right, morally. But i also think that there are artists that are rolling in millions of dollars and some people can't afford 1.29 for a song. I think everyone should be entitled to music. Piracy is wrong, but charging obsecene money for music is wrong as well. Perhaps some artists could do speciality albums for half price

on Feb. 27 2010 at 11:41 am
ahashakesg BRONZE, Miramar Beach, Florida
Well said. :]