Twilight: Movies vs. Books | Teen Ink

Twilight: Movies vs. Books

February 15, 2010
By Anonymous

Every teenage girl in America, whether they like it or not, has heard of the book Twilight. And because single, lonely teenagers, thirsty for romance love fantasizing about their dream guy, twilight is the next best thing. In the book, Stephanie Meyer tries to rewrite a well known love story using romantic vampires and jealous werewolves. When the book became such a phenomenon, people expected the movie to be just as interesting. However, for many people and critics, they were sorely disappointed. As the obsession for Twilight rose, people lost sight of what is important and have forgotten what it is like to witness real talent.

Fictional characters such as Edward Cullen and Jacob Black use their calm and collected personalities to get eager teenage readers to fall in love with them. Although the characters in the movie, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner, are remotely attractive, a majority of people long for the role of each actor-not the actors themselves. Because they each fit the characteristics of the characters, they struggle to portray the feelings and emotion that Stephanie Meyer is trying to show through her writing. Critics and other authors argue that Stephanie Meyer is a great author; however the books are very similar to the classic love story of a damsel in distress who is swept away by a charming and romantic young adult. She uses big words to make her characters seem more intelligent than they are in reality.

Although some critics and many fans loved every part of Twilight, Variety says, “Twilight is a disappointingly anemic tale of forbidden love that should satiate the pre-converted but will bewilder and under whelm [the uninitiated]…the actors’ early, awkward interactions feel particularly forced, and the script gives Stewart virtually nothing with which to convince the audience of her transcendent love for [Pattinson].”
Consumers who read the twilight saga were ecstatic to see their favorite book on film, however, they were blinded by the image of the actors and failed to notice the acting-if any. However, even the lucky few who never got caught up in the obsession for Twilight and could recognize the poor acting; it is hard to avoid the sensation that followed each film. Producers market and advertise as much as they possibly can, and with this in place, it is hard to ignore when each corner of the mall has a cardboard cut out of Robert Pattinson. When compared to Harry Potter-well-there really is no comparison. J.K. Rowling is a much more unique and intelligent author than Meyer; and original at the most. Anyone can make a classic love story into their own; however creating a fictional lifestyle for teenage wizards is extraordinary. Not to mention, when it came time to produce a blockbuster for the bestseller, producers made a logical choice in choosing the right actors for each character, for it seems they might have chosen to take a few acting lessons before taking on such an important role.

Although the obsession of twilight is overwhelming, hopefully once the sensation dies down people will come to their senses and realize that they don’t fit the “Hollywood” image and that they’re never going to date the hot werewolf with the six pack or the romantic vampire that they see in the movies. And if that day comes, hopefully movies along with the rest of Hollywood will go back to the way they used to be.