Music's effect on our Teenage society

Daily a rhythmic beat floats through my mind. Hourly, a new song finds its way into the crevices of my mind. Every minute a phrase… word… or noise triggers yet another melody to caress my lips. Music is constantly around us. No matter how hard you try to escape it, it’ll find you. With these facts in mind, how do we know that the music we listen to doesn’t dictate our actions?
All throughout time it was staring us in the face. The 60’s being the birthplace of Rock N’ Roll. During this time you had teenagers questioning everything: authority, government, and many others. The 70’s, being the Disco Era. 80’s, where Hard Rock found home, you had immediate defiance, and so many teens’ lives revolved around drinking, partying, sex, drugs, and head-banging. The 90’s, a very confusing time, Pop invaded our radios. Now we come to the present time. In this age we have so many different genres of music. Rock alone has many categories (hard, metal, classic, and modern). Rap/ Hip-hop are famous for their bass. Country, always good for a cry, laugh, or just a little twang to your day. And Christian, which seems to only get listened to in a “church setting” (youth trips, Sunday/Wednesday service, etc.).
My thoughts are simply this, when out of all the things you allow into your mind music is the most dominant, and you listen to songs about drugs, sex, and violence what else can you expect to come from this society of people? Nothing, exactly, proven time and time again, music though entertaining, magical at moments, and even at times helpful or calming, can cause dangerous side-effects in our lives.

andromeda13 said...
to me music is music, yes i get pretty sick of the dirty lyrics artists are coming up with, but thats what they want too write about, it's what makes them who they are. No body is forcing you too listen too it. personally i like two completly different types of music, depending on what mood i'm in. no matter what there are always going too be artists that write dirty songs, we shouln't stop them or slander them, just listen too music you do like that speaks too you. 

Ava B. said...
May 2, 2011 at 11:03 am
I agree completely! Music is what makes us, well, us. :D

Quinntre said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 3:01 am
I agree, the music now (All genre's) is pretty horrible, music should tell a story. The lyrics should make it come to life, but today's rappers, pop artists, wannabe country singers (taylor swift) exc. have ruined it. Personally I'll listen to anything as long as it's not garbage like today's stuff. Probably the newest thing I listen to is Eminem and besides that the newest is Tupac.

Truthwillprevail said...
Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:26 am
Personally, I don't listen to much secular music. That doesn't have much to do with the fact that I'm a Christian, but because of all the junk that is out there nowadays. I have to scan lyrical content before I listen to songs because it seems the ones that are the most catchy are the ones that are dirtiest. When artists such as Lady GaGa and Katy Perry write catchy songs with generally twisted messages and dirty lyrics, they make me want to throw up and I feel as though I am sick-minded through... (more »)

Paper*mate said...
I perfer the older classical rock n' roll. These days, there isn't nothing much to listen to, but rap music. I only wish that kind of music would run its course, and the good music would come back.
Paper*mate

Jordan901278 said...
I agree with you. Music can bring a lot of joy and happiness to peoples' lives but it can also bring more influence than any physical person could ever have on them. Which is why we have all of the kids that probably walk around your school as they do mine. Bad grammared, pants sagging, throwing up gang signs. You know.

Jonsie replied...
Exactly my point. thanks for your comments