I Hear Voices This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I hear voices. That being said, I am not insane nor do I believe in ghosts or spirits.

I just love to listen.

I can hear the music in the deep voice of one of my teachers as he gives his instruction. The pitch of another teacher rises as he tries to make a point over the chattering of students. A wonderfully foreign accent fills the most dry and insipid sciences with explosive flavor. The same voice amuses me to no end as it orders her senior lab-aide about.

The cafeteria is an explosion of sounds and voices. The high-pitched frenzy of a pair of girls fighting, a hushed conversation between lovers, and the general exclamation of people over a poor choice of words can be heard in almost any lunch period. The waterfall of tones and pitches immerses me in a constant stream of sound. Even at my table, not two voices are alike; I will sit and listen, but not just to the words. I listen to the people behind them. It is not what you say, but how you say it that truly makes an impact.

Teachers and lunches aside, chorus is a class of wonders for me. I never can seem to wait for it to come, and when it does, time washes away. On a good day, with a song we enjoy, it is an amazing sound like no other. But oh, on a bad day, all I want to do is bang my head on the piano's ivory keys in frustration at the lack of music we sing. Everything from a heart-wrenching love ballad to a swing version of Santa songs resides in our folders, all with their own feelings that cannot be expressed in mere words and notes. Our voices bring their melodies to life.

Music is so much more than rhythms and pitches. Class is so much more than notes and lectures. Even the simplest conversation is more than a collection of words and meanings.

I hear voices.

Do you?

iluvnachoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 7:24 am:
I agree with LoveHappens! Yuo speak with your soul and please, never lose that! :D

JennieSmile11 said...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 8:40 am:
This is beautiful, creative, and honest! I think you were able to potray what many feel, but aren't sure how to express. Wonderful job! =]

LoveHappens This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 24, 2010 at 10:31 am:
Amazing! You speak from your soul. Not many people do. Never lose that :D

Xx_iHeartCookies_xX said...
Fantastic! iLoved It =]

liy_garcia said...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:00 am:

you words make the sounds come to life in my mind and this give it an almost poetic feel to it.

fantastic.

Green.Ink said...
Mar. 25, 2010 at 4:58 pm:
I really like the way this is written, and also the topic. You create a sort of longing to hear what you hear, and I know I'll be listening more closely in school tomorrow.
Very creative.
:]

BriarRose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 9:33 am :

Hey thanks!

--BriarRose

monster-chick-14 said...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 4:11 pm:
OMG I NEVER READ THIS ONE!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!
Alex, obviously :)

Mar. 2, 2010 at 8:55 pm :
Can you guess the teachers?
later alex,
--BriarRose =]

monster-chick-14 replied...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 9:40 am :
hmm.......mrs. marshall, hardin, patrick as lab-aid :)

Mar. 3, 2010 at 6:26 pm :
yeah...but you forgot vic... i mentioned him too

monster-chick-14 replied...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 9:49 am :
Ohhhhhh!!!!! i see now!!! haha my bad

meme98 said...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 2:58 pm:
i kind of liked it alot

Mar. 1, 2010 at 6:44 pm :
Thanks =]
--BriarRose

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 1, 2010 at 3:08 am :
Interesting. I hear music in the rhythums of voices too! I always thought I was the only one!! Great article!

Sept. 1, 2010 at 8:53 am :
thanks Healing_Angel, keep listening =]...the world's a pretty cool place