I Hear Voices This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I hear voices. That being said, I am not insane nor do I believe in ghosts or spirits.

I just love to listen.

I can hear the music in the deep voice of one of my teachers as he gives his instruction. The pitch of another teacher rises as he tries to make a point over the chattering of students. A wonderfully foreign accent fills the most dry and insipid sciences with explosive flavor. The same voice amuses me to no end as it orders her senior lab-aide about.

The cafeteria is an explosion of sounds and voices. The high-pitched frenzy of a pair of girls fighting, a hushed conversation between lovers, and the general exclamation of people over a poor choice of words can be heard in almost any lunch period. The waterfall of tones and pitches immerses me in a constant stream of sound. Even at my table, not two voices are alike; I will sit and listen, but not just to the words. I listen to the people behind them. It is not what you say, but how you say it that truly makes an impact.

Teachers and lunches aside, chorus is a class of wonders for me. I never can seem to wait for it to come, and when it does, time washes away. On a good day, with a song we enjoy, it is an amazing sound like no other. But oh, on a bad day, all I want to do is bang my head on the piano's ivory keys in frustration at the lack of music we sing. Everything from a heart-wrenching love ballad to a swing version of Santa songs resides in our folders, all with their own feelings that cannot be expressed in mere words and notes. Our voices bring their melodies to life.

Music is so much more than rhythms and pitches. Class is so much more than notes and lectures. Even the simplest conversation is more than a collection of words and meanings.

I hear voices.

Do you?

KeishaLouise15 said...
i like this one!!! this is a 5 star for this one!!!!!!!!!

LimahMarie said...
Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:03 am:
I love this! I feel this way everyday and now i have founded people i can really relate to <3 :)

iluvliliesandmusic said...
this is exatly how i feel every single day. i totally love thisa rticle. u and i are practically on the same page. i mean i could have written this, right out of my diary, i was as good as a writer as you are.

bookthief This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Quite beautiful. Thank you.

kksexi12 said...

I totally agrre with you!! Whenever I hesar a teacher talkiing or when my friends talk, I hear a rythym. When I hear the rythym I make a song. It helps me because I write songs and this gives me new ideas.

I love to write songs and I love that you wrote this and published this BriarRose!!!!!! keep writingYou are great at it and you could make a carrer out of this!!!!! just have hope!!

loulou200 said...
Sept. 6, 2011 at 8:21 am:
I like it! I like ur style! Keep writing.

limeturquoise825 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Your piece was amazing! I hope that I will one day be able to write this well.

ibadancer13 said...
May 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm:
Wow that was amazing! I love how you took the topic and made it into something that anyone can understand.  You're word choice was really incredible too:)

Anonymous said...
May 23, 2011 at 7:26 pm:
This is amazing. So true...

HighOnEverythingButLove said...
Mar. 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm:
This piece is amazing its one of the most relatable things i've ever read

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 19, 2011 at 2:12 am:
Oh, I can relate! I love to listen to people talking, it comforts me.

T.R.Trevino said...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 4:05 pm:

I have experience this many times. Like in music class, we're learning jazz. The other kids don't reallly care of what the teacher is saying, but I find it fascinating-his tone, his sentence structure, the speed at which he says some things, the speed at which he says another.

And it's like I take all that I hear, an put it into what I read and write.

What I put on the paper is my composition, and what I hear each day is the music.

Uh, sorry for the rant...

BriarRose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 5:01 pm :
Don't apologize, it's great knowing that other people go beyond listening to truly hear.  It's what real writers do. 

Daydreamish said...
WOW! This is so cool, I can picture everything in my head. You have inspired me to pay attention to the world more closely. Earth needs more people who can listen, not hear, and not look but see. Thank you for writing this :)

WriterFighter said...
Nov. 5, 2010 at 8:43 am:

This is a very interresting piece.

I love your choice of words in this article. It is very mature and found to be mysterious and a dark delifulness about it. I would love to hear voices. Maybe it does only take a little bit of listening

My writting cause from this part of my soul in which I can't explain. The same kind of theme, I'd love for you to check it out! And I understand from where you are coming from, the world is an explosive soundwave. Sometimes I swear I can see glim... (more »)

Nov. 7, 2010 at 10:34 am :

thanks =]

BriarRose

Dollie <3 said...
This is simply amazing. Im impressed. If only you could hear the music behind my words...

I am really sensitive and have very few friends. Even lesser go to school with me or are my age. I often hear things, things people, at least at my school, wouldnt take the time to hear. Where I live, people are not as open minded as me. It makes me that weird girl. I have never been abel to describe myself or the ways I see things through my writing. There has always been a lack of words or time... (more »)

Oct. 18, 2010 at 12:39 pm :

Hey, thanks

to insanity and beyond

-BriarRose

ramberryshakes said...
Jul. 30, 2010 at 4:46 pm:
You hear ; I see . And you know what I see ? A beautiful piece with a wonderful author . Keep that amazing edge and girl , you're going places . (:

dodacrazy said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 1:05 am:
I heard the music wait what else am I listening to.