What if we are the savages?

I always find it interesting how Hollywood films always try and make extraterrestrials appear to be brutal creatures that are only here to take over our planet. Why do they have to be savages? I think it’s unfair to do this to creatures that we have never actually seen, apart from the Roswell, New Mexico claims, and to make them appear to be ruthless is just wrong. What happens if we are the actual savages? The ones who want to attack these creatures only because we are afraid of what they can do.

Truthfully I think it would be extremely interesting to meet an extraterrestrial, what happens if they could help us advance our technology and possibly make the way we live better? We’re always talking about saving the earth and yet as we protest about it most of us are still doing nothing. What if the extraterrestrials could actually help us discover new ways of saving our planet?

The theory that extraterrestrials are coming to Earth just to take over our planet seems really far fetched also. You’re telling me that the only planet in the entire solar system that can sustain life is Earth? If that’s true then where have the extraterrestrials been living? On a planet similar, ok fine, did their planet die? If so, then what will they do after Earth dies under their rule? Find another, well if that’s possible then they don’t need earth. It’s all really far fetched.

Don’t get me wrong I always enjoy a nice “Alien Thriller” movie but sometimes I think we make things to far fetched and I hate that some people believe that the aliens will actually be a threat to us which means if they actually did show up here then people would be thrown into a state of panic due to the fact that the only thing they can connect with aliens coming to earth is the fact that they want to take over our planet and destroy us all.

So I ask again, what if we are the savages?

numbernine said...
Honestly the whole point of this article is pointless. Aliens aren't real so why waste your time defending them? And if you're looking for some non-savage aliens, read the Larklight series by Philip Reeve.

ElizabethW replied...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 2:04 pm :
Honestly you have no proof that there aren't aliens. Isn't it arrogant of us as humans to think we are the only life form in the entire universe? I mean come on, the universe is HUGE! You mean to tell me that we are the only living things in it? Psh, get off your high horse and look at the grand scale and not just at our little planet.

numbernine replied...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 2:36 pm :
Wow...you make me laugh.

ElizabethW replied...
Nov. 1, 2010 at 4:46 pm :
That's good :)

V.T.Summers replied...
Dec. 29, 2010 at 12:02 am :

I agree with ElizabethW.  We haven't exactly checked every inch of the universe.

If you calculate the number of solar systems in this galaxy and multiply that by the total number of galaxies, the estimated probability of us being the only sentinent life forms in the universe is highly unlikely.

rockyraccoon replied...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 4:45 am :
i agree with numbernine and v.t. summers aliens probably exsiste somewhere but this is kind of stupid topic and there have been movies where humans were considered savage E.T. for one.

Zil2000000 replied...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 11:02 am :
I believe that this Article is not a stupid topic and anything and everything should be written about.

WriterFanaticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Its not so much that they were savages. Its that they did not care for anyone but themselves. Thanks for replying. You should watch the whole movie its worth it.=)

ElizabethW replied...
Jan. 2, 2010 at 11:55 pm :
NP if people take the time to comment on my work then I try and reply, seems only right, doesn't it? I'll try and get around to seeing the whole thing, I do believe I'd enjoy watching it :D.

Have you ever watched Avatar? It is a moie where WE are the savages. And Ithink you are absolutley correct. What if we are the savages? Good job for pointing out such a question. Keep it up

ElizabethW replied...
Jan. 2, 2010 at 5:33 pm :
First off thanks :). I've seen a bit of Avatar, I watched it for a little bit but then became busy with other things. But I agree from what I remember there was a savage quality to the humans.

Poetic_blue said...
If we were to find out that we were the savages and the aliens were peaceful, I would sit at home, shake my head and say "no kidding" Think about all the war on this planet. All the murder and terrorism and all the horrible things that humans do to eachother. It would be no suprise to me. I just hope that after the planet cleanses itself, the next inhabitants aren't as stupid.

TheTraveler replied...
Oct. 18, 2009 at 2:51 am :
First: Thansk for reading my article!
Second: Thanks for your comment. I agree 100% with you, hopefully the next inhabitants aren't like us at all.....smarter hopefully.

MentalFlatline said...
In my view of the world it is human nature to be a savage.

TheTraveler replied...
Sept. 27, 2009 at 10:58 pm :
That's an interesting view, thanks for your imput!

golfer2 said...
Sept. 3, 2009 at 7:53 am:
very nice article traveler. way to keep people thinking. i bet we would be the savages, no doubt about it. great job, keep up the good work